Thread: A's @ Jays; 4-game set

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A's A's @ Jays; 4-game set

So I'm still not feeling well enough to post a full series preview, so it's the short version once again.

Today, our offense was it's usual self and we lost 6-1. Crosby hit a homer in the eighth, but that was it. Gallagher lasted only three innings, and then Meyer was in to replace him. Halladay pitched amazingly. Smith is pitching for us tomorrow, not that it means anything because we won't win any games until our offense wakes up.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: A's @ Jays; 4-game set

At least we didn't get shutout.

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    So I'm still not feeling well enough to post a full series preview, so it's the short version once again.

Today, our offense was it's usual self and we lost 6-1. Crosby hit a homer in the eighth, but that was it. Gallagher lasted only three innings, and then Meyer was in to replace him. Halladay pitched amazingly. Smith is pitching for us tomorrow, not that it means anything because we won't win any games until our offense wakes up.
    Halladay is a great pitcher. But par of the reason h looked so good was the competition he faced. It's not hard to shut down the A's offense. They couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. Barry Zito could shut down the A's right now. When you get swept at home by the Royals that is pathetic. Then to follow that up with Wakefield shutting them down makes it worse. I'm a die hard A's fan but this collection of position players is terrible. Only 3 position players on the team should be in there future plans. Gonzales, Sweeney Ryan that is, and Susuki.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    At least we didn't get shutout.
    Haha yeah that was my first thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdeuce View Post
    Halladay is a great pitcher. But par of the reason h looked so good was the competition he faced. It's not hard to shut down the A's offense. They couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. Barry Zito could shut down the A's right now. When you get swept at home by the Royals that is pathetic. Then to follow that up with Wakefield shutting them down makes it worse.
    True, but he makes every offense look bad. That's just how he is. Idk about Zito shutting down the A's, but hey right now anything is possible. We've got one more stop on this roadtrip after Toronto (Detroit). I'll be happy if we just don't completely embarrass ourselves on the road.

Too Late. They have already embarrassed themselves.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Too Late. They have already embarrassed themselves.
    Well, idk about you, but I think that being swept by the Sox isn't that embarrassing, seeing how well-rounded of a team they are. Toronto is a little different.

But either way, let's go out and win today's game!

A fast ball left up in the zone and 2 hanging sliders. Thats pretty typical for Huston Street.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We lost. Again. Blew the lead. Again. Probably going to go on and lose the series. Again. This is getting pathetic.

AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We lost. Again. Blew the lead. Again. Probably going to go on and lose the series. Again. This is getting pathetic.
    The A's are long past pathetic. Getting to be one of the worst teams in baseball. It's not going to get much better. I don't like chavvy but he is much better than hanahan and chavvy is done. Mike Sweeny probably isn't going to make it back. Once Frank gets his swing back that will help a little but not much. We don't have any body who can help the offense. Guys who are struggling will continue to struggle. We are going to in a battle for last with Seattle by the end of the year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The A's are long past pathetic. Getting to be one of the worst teams in baseball. It's not going to get much better. I don't like chavvy but he is much better than hanahan and chavvy is done. Mike Sweeny probably isn't going to make it back. Once Frank gets his swing back that will help a little but not much. We don't have any body who can help the offense. Guys who are struggling will continue to struggle. We are going to in a battle for last with Seattle by the end of the year.
    True, but for some reason I still have faith that the A's will finish above .500. Don't ask me why, just accept it. I highly doubt Mike Sweeney will be back, but Thomas is starting to heat up and if/when he does it'll be a great help. Ryan Sweeney has been our best hitter...and he's a rookie! He's batting .299 right now. Suzuki and Gonzalez haven't been all that bad either. And of course Hannahan isn't going to be as good as Chavez. This is his first full season as a regular. Just give him a chance. There was a stretch a month or two ago where he was on fire. You can't expect everyone to perform at their best at all times. It's just not going to happen. They can try to do their best, and eventually they'll come around and the patience will be worth it.

True, but for some reason I still have faith that the A's will finish above .500. Don't ask me why, just accept it. I highly doubt Mike Sweeney will be back, but Thomas is starting to heat up and if/when he does it'll be a great help. Ryan Sweeney has been our best hitter...and he's a rookie! He's batting .299 right now. Suzuki and Gonzalez haven't been all that bad either. And of course Hannahan isn't going to be as good as Chavez. This is his first full season as a regular. Just give him a chance. There was a stretch a month or two ago where he was on fire. You can't expect everyone to perform at their best at all times. It's just not going to happen. They can try to do their best, and eventually they'll come around and the patience will be worth it.

Give Hanahan a chance? Why? What has he shown to deserve a chance. He's getting a chance right now and blowing it. He was never on fire. He hit .305 with 2 Hr and 11 RBI for the month of July that is his best month and that ain't on fire. June he hit .189. and Aug he's hitting .063. He has an ok month of July and follows it up with a 1 for 16 Aug. Doesn't seem like he'll ever be a decent hitter. Like I said this is his chance to prove he's an everyday player and he's blowing it.

Thomas is not heating up but he will. 2 for 16 is hardly heating up. It always takes his bat some time to wake up. If he stays healthy he'll heat up for the month of September. Too Little Too Late.

Our pitching is going to drop. Duke will tail off in the 2nd half. He just pitched too well ion the first half to continue that for the 2nd half. Greg Smith has already tailed off. He pitched well last night so that is a good sign. Gallagher is going on the DL. We got no closer.

Don't get me wrong I'm a die hard A's fun. I'll stick with them through thick and thin. I'm also a realistic fan. I would love to see all the players do well. I just don't think it's going to happen.

there are some bright spots for the future with Sweeney, Gonzales, and Susuki. All 3 should be decent players. With Gonzales being a star. Those are the only 3 guys on the team that should be in the A's future plans. That includes getting rid of Ellis and Crosby. Crosby just plain sucks. He's proven even when Healthy he can't hit. He's only an average defensive SS. Ellis is too inconsistent at the plate. Look back at his career numbers he has had a terrible year every other year. Last year was ok this year has sucked. Next year he should be ok. But he's a FA let him walk. We got allot of guys in the minors at 2B one of them should be good. I will hand to Ellis defensively he's great. I'd like to see Petit get consistent playing time. He might be a decent 2B. He played well in the little playing time he got earlier this year.

Over all I thought Gio pitched well. Had too many walks but the ump had a real tight strike zone. The trouble he got in was when he got behind in the count. Allot of that was because of the tight strike zone. The walk to Overbay in the 1st very easily have been a strikeout. Ball 3 and 4 I thought could have been strikes. It's hard enough making your major league debut the ump just made it harder. But those are things he'll have to deal with during his career. Once again the offense was shut down. Marcum is good but not that good. The A's made him look better than he is. Once again Casilla pitched pretty bad. He could have gotten out of it if he hadn't of thrown the WP. Walking your first batter is bad enough than putting runners on 2nd and 3rd with a WP just makes the problems worse. Took away the DP. It's stuff like that as to why I say Casilla is not closer material.