Thread: Closer by committee? Didn't someone try that before?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Pitching Closer by committee? Didn't someone try that before?

Any opinions on this closer by committee crap that Geren is employing now? Didn't the Red Sox try that one year with little success? No one knows their role and it really messes everything up. Wait, didn't we already try this at one point? When Street was hurt maybe? We all know Street hasn't been lights out this year, but isn't this still going to mess with him mentally? Why not just pick someone for now? At least everyone would know their roles.

He's mentioned about using Ziegler and Blevins along with Street. Obviously, Casilla and Devine will get some chances, too. I'm surprised to see Blevins named before either Casilla or Devine. So now we have 5 closers? I don't get it. I know Ziegler has that 32 inning scoreless streak going, but I really like him in the setup role. I don't think he'd do that well as a closer. Thoughts?

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Closer by committee? Didn't someone try that before?

Well there was an article posted recently somewhere that stated that Street wasn't happy with this decision. He felt offended, and said that he shouldn't lose the job simply because he's had some bad games. So yes it had already messed with him mentally. As for the other guys closing, Casilla has done it a few times in the past so I don't see a problem with him. Blevins and Devine I was surprised to see like you said, but I don't think Ziggy would have a problem. Sure he does look better as a set-up guy, but I'd give him an chance to just try out closing a game or two first.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was saying on the Tigers board that it would be smart for them to go by the matchups and try and figure it out before the end of the season. The A's have time to see who has what and who handles the pressure.

All Geren is trying to do is see if someone else can close. Street Thinks he shouldn't lose the closers role based on a couple bad games how about a bad season. Geren is hoping one of the other guys does well in the situation. Everything I've read is Devine is the closer of the future. We've already seen Casilla has pitched poorly since coming off the DL and Blevins and Zeigler aren't closer material.

MLB ERA

Casilla has been much better. He had one bad "month", which was June (4 earned runs in 2 innings)

Individual Player Splits | MLB.com: Stats

Since then he as pitched 12 innings with an ERA of 3 and he's still averaging a K/inning. Overall his numbers look good even with that bad "month"...no runs since the all-star break. Obviously, he's not as hot as he was for the first month or so, but he seems to be coming back around.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Casilla has been much better. He had one bad "month", which was June (4 earned runs in 2 innings)

Individual Player Splits | MLB.com: Stats

Since then he as pitched 12 innings with an ERA of 3 and he's still averaging a K/inning. Overall his numbers look good even with that bad "month"...no runs since the all-star break. Obviously, he's not as hot as he was for the first month or so, but he seems to be coming back around.
    He's allowed 7 hits and 6 walks in 6 innings pitched since the break that isn't good. a good reliever should have a whip around 1.0. Casilla whip has been 1.66 in July and Aug

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfdeuce View Post
    He's allowed 7 hits and 6 walks in 6 innings pitched since the break that isn't good. a good reliever should have a whip around 1.0. Casilla whip has been 1.66 in July and Aug
    Well now it seems like Casilla is in the same boat as Street. O_o Apparently both have had their bad games and shouldn't be in the closer role. Which leaves us with Blevins, Devine, and Zeigler.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by jfdeuce View Post
    he allowed 3 walks since the break, not 6. you misread that, but somehow calculated the WHIP correctly. The k's are still there and he hasn't allowed a run. He's starting to return to form and being a productive reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    he allowed 3 walks since the break, not 6. you misread that, but somehow calculated the WHIP correctly. The k's are still there and he hasn't allowed a run. He's starting to return to form and being a productive reliever.
    I made a mistake on his walks since the breaks. His WHIP has gone up. How is that returning to form? He's just gotten lucky since the break. A WHIP is more of an indicator of a good reliever than ERA. ERA doesn't show inherited runners he allows to score. I just don't see him as closer material. I don't think he'd do any better than Street. Over guy on the big league roster with closer stuff is Devine. We do have a couple of minor leaguers who might be a good closer in the future but they are a few years off. I'm talking about Henry Rodriguez and Andrew Carignan. Both of them have a few things to work on. But both have good stuff. High strikeouts but also high walks. Work on there command and they could turn into closers. Rodriguez is starting at High A Stockton but rumor has the A's have him starting to build up his arm strength then convert him to closer. Carignan is in AA Midland and pitching well except his walks are too high. Also has high strikeouts too.

First save opp in a long time and Street is in. What happened to opening up the closers role?

How bout that Street blew it again. When is Geren going to learn Street aint a closer. 5 for 10 in save opps with a 1 run lead. Pretty god damn bad.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Geren said in an interview before the game that, if there was a save opportunity in tonite's game (and there was), that he'd give Street one more chance before going to someone else. But, as most of you already know, he blew it. Sources indicate that it'll most likely be Ziggy taking over Street's role first, provided there's a save opp for him soon.