Thread: Fremont Stadium News

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

News Fremont Stadium News

The more obstacles that get in the way and the longer the delays, the later the A's will be in Fremont with their new stadium. It doesn't sound like they're planning on failing at this, but it's certainly taking longer to break ground than I thought and longer than they I expected I bet.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/athl...nclick_check=1

But where that future will take place remains in as much question as ever, especially after managing partner Lew Wolff told Bay Area News Group he's unsure if the team's attempt to build a new state-of-the-art ballpark in Fremont will succeed.

"I don't know. I honestly don't," Wolff said Wednesday when asked if Cisco Field will come to fruition. "But say it doesn't. We're still under a lot of pressure to get a park that is our own. That isn't going to go away. So my hope is that we'll find a way to make it happen. It has not been as easy as I thought it would be."
    This site is devoted to updates on the park:

new A's ballpark

I really can't believe that they're still preparing the environmental report! Hasn't it been almost a year or more since they said that was the next step? It sure seems like it. It certainly doesn't seem like it's ownership's fault, but man this is taking forever. Do you guys think it'll get done in Fremont? If not, then what? Vegas? Portland? Somewhere else in California?

It's also complicated by the soccer franchise they own since the team is supposed to be the San Jose Quakes again. I'm not sure if they'd be allowed to move them and rename them as well. I thought the deal was to bring the Quakes back even though they'd technically be an expansion team. Do they move the A's out of state and find a place for the Quakes there? Who knows. This is getting ridiculous though.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

A's Re: Fremont Stadium News

Things are going very well with the proposed Cisco Field/Ballpark Village in Fremont. As a matter of fact, the Fremont Chamber of Commerce just gave Its formal endorsement of the project. You can receive more up to date information by going to A's To Fremont Support Group - Office Site Coming Soon! or www.The FremontBaseballVillage.com. Lew Wolff is a very passionate man and is just as eager to get the new stadium done as everyone else. Unfortunately, the process required takes a long time. The Environmental Impact Report (EIR) has been started and takes anywhere from 12 - 18 months to complete. We are hoping to have the report back by early January, so it can be placed on the Fremont City Council's agenda for review by March of 2009. The City of Fremont has been very good to work with, but a project of this size has a lot of required proceedures that must be followed. Rest assured, things are moving a long and the amount of support from Fremont citizens has been wonderful!

MLB ERA

Re: Fremont Stadium News

thanks for the info. are you an insider or just have more info due to being local? I can only really get info about it from the internet...though the local papers have site, too.

MLB ERA

well, so much for things going well...

Oakland Athletics put brakes on Fremont stadium plan - ESPN

FREMONT, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics are putting the brakes on a plan to build a new stadium in Fremont.

Team officials asked the city Friday to stop the planning process for a new stadium, saying they want to look at their options again.

MLB ERA

updated story regarding canceling Fremont (Neyer quoted some of it).

Oakland Athletics scrap Fremont stadium plans - ESPN

Vegas, here we come in 2015!