Thread: Rangers @ A's; 3-game set

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A's Rangers @ A's; 3-game set

7-25-08
    Padilla vs Gallagher

Padilla returned from the DL last Sunday and pitched a gem, throwing seven innings of shutout baseball, allowing only three hits. He was placed on the DL after suffering from back neck stiffness (*ahem* Daric Barton). He faced the A's earlier this season and won the 4-3 contest. Gallagher will be making his first career start against Texas. He earned a ND in his last start, the 4-3, 12 inning loss to NY.

7-26-08
    Harrison vs Duchscherer

Harrison had an impressive debut for the Rangers, but since then has been hit hard. Against Chicago and Minnesota, he allowed a combined 13 runs in 7 2/3 innings. Duke took a tough-luck loss against the Yankees on Sunday, throwing seven innings of two run ball in hot weather while suffering from the effects of a viral infection. His previous start this season against the Rangers was in May, where he allowed two runs in another tough-luck loss.

7-27-08

Hurley vs Eveland

If Hurley is feeling well enough to pitch, he'll be starting this game going up against Eveland. He was supposed to come off of the DL on Monday, but felt soreness in his arm and decided to play it safe and skip a start. Eveland fell to 7-7 against the Rays Monday night. The long ball bit him twice, and two of the three stolen bases became runs. His only start against Texas this season was a loss, and he has a 4.50 ERA from the contest.

As most of you know (or should know), Texas is arguably the best hitting ballclub in all of baseball. They've got a great combination of hitting for power and average. Our pitching has been a little shaky these last few series, but if we can shut down their offense, we have a serious chance of taking this series. Their pitching is terrible, and we have to capitalize on every opportunity that we get during this series to score.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Rangers @ A's; 3-game set

Let's hope Gallagher can co a little deeper in this game. The A's are still in the Wild Card hunt so they shouldn't forget that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Gallagher hasn't lasted past the fifth inning I believe...I'll be heading off to the game shortly. It starts now, but I have to find my lost BART ticket. Again.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well it's the bottom of the eighth inning now, and we're down 6-5. We had a 5-0 lead, but then Gallagher ran into some trouble and coughed up the lead (only one run was earned).

In other news, Zeigler continued his scoreless inning streak, adding on 1 1/3 innings of scoreless work.

Onto the top of the ninth we go!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Whoa. Talk about a 9th inning meltdown.

And I guess hot_corner_gurl didn't find her lost BART ticket.
    At least she can wear her Josh Hamilton jersey with pride, as he homered tonight.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Whoa. Talk about a 9th inning meltdown.

And I guess hot_corner_gurl didn't find her lost BART ticket.
    At least she can wear her Josh Hamilton jersey with pride, as he homered tonight.
    Yeah, ya think? Eight runs. EIGHT RUNS! Wtf?

And no, I didn't find it unfortunately. That's the fourth time this season I coudln't go to a game b/c I couldn't find my BART ticket.

And of course I'd wear it with pride. I wear every jersey I have with pride. Most days anyways.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah...Zeigler tied the ML record for most scoreless innings pitched to start off a career last nite. His 1 1/3 innings tied him at 25 with some guy who pitched back in 1907. Unfortunately this feat was overshadowed by the loss.

More news - Chavvy is very skeptical in his hopes of returning this year. His shoulder (not his back) is causing him more problems than he thought, and he's doubting whether he'll be able to play again this season, or if at all. There is a posibility that he could be moved to first, but he doesn't want to think that far ahead. He still has two more years on his contract ($66 mil for 8 yrs) too. Plus, only Rickey Henderson, Mark McGwire, and Terry Steinbach have played more years in an A's uni. He's been the face of the franchise since forever, and add that to the contract thing and a trade seems doubtful.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well we lost today's game (and the series). Surprise, surprise. Duke allowed eight runs in 6+ innings...his worst outing by a mile (and then some...). Their offense was just on fire and even our best pitcher couldn't stop them. Final score, 9-4.

And yes, Hamilton hit another homer and added on a couple more RBI.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Just like in our last series against the Rangers, we were able to salvage the final game of the series, 6-5. Cust and Suzuki both homered in the victory. Eveland lasted onlt 4 2/3 innings, and his replacement Blevins got the win. But the news of the day was that rookie Brad Zeigler broke the scoreless inning streak-thing of 25 innings today. He pitched two scoreless innings and worked around a couple of hits to break the record. There was a nice little ovation/recognition for him at the ballpark today. He's probably on cloud 9 right now. But we got the win, and that's all that counts.

Next in town, the KC Royals (by the time this series is all said and done, we may be farther back in the standings than they are).