Thread: Don't you get tired?

MLB ERA

Question Don't you get tired?

As a Reds Fan I know I am tired of the Reds constantly trying to "compete" for the middle rather than either going full out bore on rebuilding or championships. Oakland is always right on the cusp but every couple years they have to go out and sale almost everything. It has to be straining to know that you're right there in the thick of it and the team has to trade off valuable guys like Blanton and maybe Street. And even if they dont trade Street see him walk like Giambi, Tejada after all the time and money put into the development gone because Oakland "can't compete" financially.

Anyone think Beane would ever be on the hot seat if Oakland is constantly in the playoff hunt but continue to fall short because of financial restraints? Or Oakland keep him regardless as long as they are "within striking distance" yearly?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Don't you get tired?

no because they weren't trying to compete this year; they're playing better than expected. anyone that follows the A's knows that Billy doesn't want to be in the middle, just be competitive, or come close. We are rebuilding with the goal of really competing for 2010 and beyond...especially when we get the new stadium, which will increase revenue and allow us to keep our players longer. Many of the trades aren't because we couldn't keep guys. It was about trading guys at or near peak value. Haren was signed very cheaply, as was Swisher, and we still moved them. It's not always about money. Hell, we just gave the highest international signing bonus ever lol

Billy Beane would never be on the hot seat. If it wasn't for him the A's wouldn't be in contention any year. He does trade away allot of players. But he comes out on top of most of those trades. He traded away Mark Mulder for Daric Barton, Kiko Calero, and Dan Haren. Calero gave the A's some good years in the pen. Haren gave the A's a couple good years in the rotation and just netted 6 prospects 3 of which are already with the A's. It's trades like that that keep them in contention. Plus he always seems to get a player who nobody else wants that contributes. I was all for rebuilding. It was the right time. All the trades he's made recently have been good for the team. He has stock piled more pitching prospects than any other team in baseball. Now he starting to stock pile position players. Other than Ryan Sweeney and Carlos Gonzales the A's don't have a position player worth a damn. So don't be surprised if the next year or two Beane trades away some pitching prospects to get some good position players.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    no because they weren't trying to compete this year; they're playing better than expected. anyone that follows the A's knows that Billy doesn't want to be in the middle, just be competitive, or come close. We are rebuilding with the goal of really competing for 2010 and beyond...especially when we get the new stadium, which will increase revenue and allow us to keep our players longer. Many of the trades aren't because we couldn't keep guys. It was about trading guys at or near peak value. Haren was signed very cheaply, as was Swisher, and we still moved them. It's not always about money. Hell, we just gave the highest international signing bonus ever lol
    What I mean is could you have done some building around what was already here and been going for 09-10 without sacrificing this year?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

that wasn't the plan. you have to give the specs more than a year to develop. there's no way one would get all AAA prospects that are only a year a way in a deal. 2 - 3 years is the goal I believe.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    2 - 3 years is the goal I believe.
    Yeah that's what I thought. Beane was trying out a mix of young guys and veterans this year. But while he wasn't concerned with winning the division, he didn't want us to completely embarass ourselves and lose 100+ games. But when we were neck and neck with the Angels in April/May, he decided to capitalize on the great start and picked up guys like Thomas to see if we could seriously make a run for it. Obviously things didn't turn out as hoped, so it's back to the original plan.

And I doubt Beane will ever be on the hot seat. That man always knows what he's doing (either that or he's a great liar), and he has too good a relationship with the front office and most of the players. And no, I don't get tired of it and I don't think I ever will.

MLB ERA

Beane is also a part owner...and will be running the soccer part of it as some point, which means Forst will be the GM at that juncture. Beane will still be involved, but you can already see Forst is doing more. He gave the conference call on the Blanton trade and may have been more involved than Beane.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Owners don't care about winning and losing all that much. They care about profits. As long as the A's are competitive, the money will be there.

There was no building on what the A's already had in place. What they had in place sucks. The A's need a whole new infield. We got 3 2B specs now. One of the 3 should be good. We got a 1B spec who is hitting a ton this year in AA. We still need a SS and a 3B. Chavy needs to go. Man can defend with the best of them but he can't hit for shit. Plus he's turned into an injury prone guy. On the Bright side we are stacked with pitching.