Thread: Rockies scouted A's / Phillies Series

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rumor Rockies scouted A's / Phillies Series

Ziegler recalls Howard as outsized college pal

Rockies in town: Colorado, which is expected to have players to deal before the July 31 deadline, has had two scouts at this series, including special assistant to the general manager Marcel Lachemann.

The A's have been linked to Colorado reliever Brian Fuentes in recent reports, but Oakland, which leads the majors in ERA and has a full bullpen (with Joey Devine expected to come off the disabled list before the All-Star break), might not necessarily be in the market for more pitching, unless it is as part of a multi-team deal.

What Oakland most likely is seeking is right-handed hitting, and the Rockies might decide to trade Matt Holliday at some point, though if they did move the outfielder, it would take at least several top young players to land him. Speedy center fielder Willy Taveras, who is having a subpar season, is very much available.

The Phillies are believed to have had long-standing interest in Fuentes.
    I don't think we really have room or have a need for Feuntes. Holliday would be interesting, but I wouldn't want to give up the farm for him. Then again, if we sign Inoa, that could make some of our pitching available since we seem to be stocked right now anyway.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Rockies scouted A's / Phillies Series

Getting rid of Holliday would be the dumbest possible move the Rockies could do right now. Hawpe and Atkins should go way before Holliday. I don't see a need for Fuentes either.