Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP Michael Ynoa

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Prospect SP Michael Ynoa

Lots of articles out there saying the A's are the favorite to sign this guy. The first date they can sign is 7/2. Apparently, the Reds and Rangers are trying to make it a 3-team race. Time will tell I guess.

BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: International Affairs: A's Take Lead In Inoa Sweepstakes

ESPN - Source: Rangers, Reds jump into bidding war for Dominican Inoa, 16 - MLB

ESPN - Inoa, 16, at head of Latin American prospect class - MLB

Duchscherer ready to do an All-Star double

General manager Billy Beane is back in the Dominican Republic for the second time in a month. Oakland is attempting to land top Dominican prospect Michel Inoa, a 6-foot-7 right-hander who is eligible to sign July 2. His signing bonus could be worth as much as $4 million.
    I hope Beane gets it done...thoughts?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: SP Michael Inoa

I bet you guys get him. I mean, Beane usually gets what he wants. It's just a matter of getting outbid now. But the A's seem to be the most aggressive for sure.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't count out the Reds. The Duran signing saw them beat out a lot of teams and surprise a lot of GM's. I fully agree that with Beane in hot pursuit and the apparent OK to spend that this is his to lose and that doesn't happen often, but I wouldn't be surprised by the Reds making the move either. Texas in their desperation might surprise everyone though, they always need pitching and I don't know if it would be worth risking him going to the A's and having to hear from their fanbase five years from now that the big A's stud could have been theirs for only a few hundred K more.

Basically, I can see compelling reasons for all three teams right now and their interest. I do give the edge at the moment to the A's as it is more rare to see them in talks like this.

MLB ERA

as I posted in the Reds forum today, it appears that they A's are going to get him. I hope we find out on 7/2 and it doesn't drag on beyond that date.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd love for the Reds to get him obviously, but man Texas should kick themselves if they let that happen. I personally hopes he goes to the A's between those teams but if this kid turns out to be the stud they think he could be, if he went to the Cubs, I as a Reds fan would have a non-stop cringe going on.

Like I mentioned, if Beane is THIS serious, that should tell something to other teams. But who knows, maybe just the A's are sweetening him up enough that he wants to sign with them if the Rangers or whoever would be willing to do a Price Is Right one dollar more style bid (not literally just a dollar of course.)

MLB ERA

yea...really, it's all speculation until it happens and we'll find out soon. But man, I'll be disappointed if we don't get him at this point I'm sure Beane would be, too...to put it mildly.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per John Fay:

It's never over till it's over, but the Baseball America is reporting that Michael Inoa, the 16-year-old Dominican pitching prospect, has signed with Oakland for $4.2 million.

MLB ERA

hmmm...he can't officially sign yet, but OK

MLB ERA

it's going to be announced on Wednesday supposedly...

BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: International Affairs: Oakland Wins Inoa Sweepstakes

MLB ERA

decent article that appeared on the A's site.

Oakland signs son, not player, in Inoa | OaklandAthletics.com: News

talks about how the A's basically had a son in signing Inoa...about how they need to take care of him and so on (not just strictly baseball related).

MLB ERA

first video of Ynoa pitching on US soil:

Bay Bridge Baseball

and an article talking about the A's plan for him this year:

Dominican bonus baby arrives for spring training

Lieppman said the plan is for Ynoa to work out with A's minor leaguers this week in Phoenix, then return to the Dominican Republic for a few weeks. He'll participate in extended spring training from April to June.

At that point, the A's will decide whether to send him to the Class A Northwest League, where he would compete against many recently drafted college players, or keep him in the Arizona Rookie League. There is a chance Ynoa also might head back to the Dominican Summer League, but Lieppman said that was a worst-case scenario. The A's plan for him to pitch about 75 innings this year, wherever he is.
    it's nice to see that they're not going to rush him. Ynoa stated that he thinks he could be in the majors by age 19 though...we'll see. so long as he makes and sticks, I'll be happy.

MLB ERA

And now he needs TJS. See you in 2012.

A's lose millionaire prospect to injury - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

The injury could also make for an interesting decision in a couple of years. Ynoa won't pitch next year, but the A's will have to decide whether to protect him from the Rule 5 draft after the 2012 season. At that point, even in a best-case scenario, Ynoa will likely have only pitched at the low Class A level in his first year after surgery, assuming no further setbacks.This is why 16-year-old pitchers get $4.25 million and 21-year-old pitchers get two or three times that much. Fortunately, the success rate of Tommy John surgery is fairly high, and there's a good chance that Ynoa will be pitching again in 2012 and throwing 95 again.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: SP Michael Ynoa

It's a blow, but definitely not the worst injury for a young pitcher.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: SP Michael Ynoa

The injury stinks because it is a developmental setback, but like you said mofo, the injury itself could have been a lot worse. Also, it seems that Volquez came back much quicker than anticipated, so maybe Ynoa has at least a few games to pitch in 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast