Thread: A's vs Phillies; 3-game set

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A's A's vs Phillies; 3-game set

6-24-08
    Moyer vs Blanton

Moyer struggled with his control a lot in his last outing, as the walk bug bit him hard. The loss to Boston was his first since he lost to San Fran on May 10. Lifetime, he's 17-15 (including two shutouts) with a 4.46 ERA in 43 career starts against the A's. In his last start, Blanton was, to say the least, not quite himself. He turned in his worst outing of the year, allowing eight earned runs in just three innings against the D-backs. The A's are only 4-12 in his starts, showing that it may not just be lack of run support but also a lack of focus and command on Blanton's part.

6-25-08
    Kendrick vs Smith

Kendrick didn't fare much better against the Sox than did Moyer. He allowed back-to-back homers in the first against Boston, and ultimately left the game in the third after allowing six runs. The Phillies have won 10 or his last 12 starts though, and he's looking to continue that as he makes his first start ever against Oakland. Smith is making his 15th start of the season after getting a ND against Arizona. He only allowed one run in five innings against the D-backs. Like Kendrick, he has never faced his opponent, so this should be an interesting game.

6-26-08
    Eaton vs Harden

Eaton had strung together five quality starts before allowing 12 hits in five innings to the Angels on Friday. Despite the not-so-good start, he's still been able to keep his team in the NL East race. Lifetime, he's 1-1 with a 4.91 ERA against the A's. In Harden's last start, he got his sixth ND of the season, as he lasted just 5 2/3 innings while allowing one run on five hits. His pitch count has driven him out of many games very early, and manager Bob Geren was looking to find a cure for the high pitch count. Harden is 2-0 with an 0.69 ERA lifetime against the Philllies.

I know that I'm making this thread a day early, but I'll be out of town for the next few weeks so I figured that I should do it now. I think that, just like in the previous series, if we can keep the longballs to a minimum and hold down the Phillies' offense, then we should have no problem taking this series. And in other A's news - Justin Duchscherer leads the league in ERA (1.99) after his masterful start yesterday. Also in yesterday's game, we were able to successfully pull off not only a double steal, but a steal of home as well. And on the injury front, Barton is still listed as day-to-day with a sore hamstring. Taking his place at first has been INF Jack Hannahan. Joey Devine has also started to throw on flat ground after being on the DL with elbow inflammation. Eric Chaves sat out yesterday's game, ending an eight game streak in which he played every game at third. He's expected to play the entire Phillies' series.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: A's vs Phillies; 3-game set

A's won 5 - 2 last night on a 3-run homer by Brown and a 2-run homer by Cust. Blanton went 7 strong innings while giving up only 1 run.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tonite's game features Kendrick and Smith. Like I said, neither pitcher has faced his opponent, so the offenses should have an advantage in this game.

MLB ERA

generally, if an offense has never faced a pitcher before, the pitcher has the advantage. That's why you typically see guys that are called up do decently the first time they face a team, then get hammered. Eveland and Smith have both had this happen this season. Let's go A's

MLB ERA

Harden destroyed the Phillies today to help the A's take the series 2 to 1. He went 8 innings with 11 k's and only 2 hits...no runs as A's won 5 - 0.