Thread: Dan Meyer is back

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Player Dan Meyer is back

Dan Meyer was called up when Dana Eveland was sent down. He did pretty decent at AAA Sacramento. He was 10 - 5 in 20 GS with a 4.48 ERA. He had 109 strikeouts in 122.2 innings along with a 1.35 WHIP. He's still young at 27. I'm just confused as to why the A's are using him as a reliever. Do they think he doesn't really have a future with them? Or that his future is mopup?

He pitched 1 scoreless inning yesterday against the Red Sox and replaced Gallagher after only 3 innings tonight. So far Meyer has pitched 2 scoreless innings tonight. Why not give him a chance to start and see if he can help the rotation? It's not like we know much beyond Duchscherer for next year. Let's see what he can do. Thoughts?

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dan Meyer is back

Idk I thought for sure he would have been a starter by now. I remember all the hype back when we first got him in the trade with the Cards (it was them right?). Seems like it has died down a bit. I still think he should be given a shot as a starter sometime this season. I didn't think he'd be pitching in relief, so this is a little bit of a surprise to me. But we'll have to wait and see what Geren decides to do with him.

MLB ERA

he was from the Braves in the Hudson deal. He's always been a starter and was starting in AAA. I mean, if we're gonna let Braden start, what the hell? If anything, I'm shocked that Braden got called up first this year and is even starting. He's crap. At least Meyer was a top spec before his injury and he's still way better than Braden IMHO.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok gotcha. I'm getting all the trades mixed up now. That's not a good sign lol. Anyways, yeah I totally agree with you on the Braden thing. Something bothers me about him. I don't like him starting. Swap him and Meyer in the rotation/'pen. I think Meyer would pitch better than Braden if he was given the chance.

MLB ERA

IMHO, Braden has no business on a major league roster unless it's the Nationals or something. Call Gio up and let him do something. Or are we really trying hold off on starting people's arby clock that much?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Idk, no offense to Braden, but he seems more of a mop-up kind of guy than as a starter. But I totally forgot about Gio Gonzalez. Yeah give him a chance. He'd probably do a better job than Braden has these past few seasons. Heck almost anybody could do a better job than Braden.

MLB ERA

yea, I don't mean any offense either. I'd love to be Mr. AAAA myself lol. At least he's been in the majors. I just don't think he should be taking away a spot, starts, or innings from guys that are better than him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah exactly. Maybe Geren is trying to see if he can work out the kinks while on the mound. But then he'd be taking time away from other guys (*ahem* Meyer) like you said. I guess it's a situation in which no one wins.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I remember Meyer in the Braves trade and was shocked to see his name in a headline. Seems like he has had a first good weekend. Could he be a possible closer candidate?

MLB ERA

I doubt Meyer stays in the pen for long. He should be in the rotation at some point.

Why Eveland was sent down I'm still wandering. Yea he has pitched poorly over the last month. Not like the A's can win right now anyway. Why not leave him in the rotation and give him a shot to pitch out of his slump. Plus Greg Smith has been just as bad over the last month. They going to send him down too. What about all the position players who have been in a slump the whole year. You don't see them sending Barton and Hanahan down.

As for Meyer he is 27 and was still in AAA. Thats old for a prospect. He pitched ok last year and was called up to the A's late last year. Made 3 starts in Oakland and had an ERA of 11.12. That is terrible. A 4.48 ERA in AAA is not good. I don't think he is in their future plans. Stick him in the pen and maybe he can show us some things. As for a starter I don't see him being a productive starter in the Majors.

MLB ERA

that may be true, but he's healthy now so let's see what he can do. I'd think he has a better shot at being something than Braden does...even if it is slim. He was once a top spec. Braden never was. I'm not saying he'll come through, but let's ride it out for the remainder of this season.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I remember Meyer in the Braves trade and was shocked to see his name in a headline. Seems like he has had a first good weekend. Could he be a possible closer candidate?
    Yeah I don't think he'll be a closer. He's been a starter all his life. I know that guys go from starters to relievers and vice versa, but I still think he and the team will be better off with him as a starter.

I'd rather see Eveland in there. One idea is have a 6 or 7 man rotation for the rest of the year then all the guys have a shot