Thread: A's @ Indians; 3-game set

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A's @ Indians; 3-game set

5-13-08
    Duchsherer vs Byrd

Duke had another quality start last time out since returning to the rotation. He pitched seven innings, holding the O's to two runs on four hits. Byrd has been streaky so far, and his biggest problem has been keeping the ball in the park. Fortunately for him (and unfortunately for us), we don't hit homers that often, so keeping the long ball out of play should be easy for Byrd.

5-14-08
    Blanton vs Sabathia

Blanton has been our hard-luck guy of the year. Despite his reputation for being an innings eater, Blanton lasted only 5 2/3 innings in his last start and has not been able to pitch very deep into games. However, Sabathia has never had much success against Oakland. He's 2-6 with a 6.00 ERA against us, almost the opposite of Blanton's 1-1 record with a 4.26 ERA.

5-15-08
    Smith vs Laffey

The A's haven't done too well in scoring runs when Smith is starting. However, Smith hasn't always helped his own game. He's allowed eight first inning runs thus far. He has been able to pitch into the sixth inning in six of his last seven starts, and the A's are 5-2 in those starts. Laffey has been very impressive since filling in for Westbrook. He is a first-strike pitcher, so if the A's are to score any runs, then need to be ready to swing early in the count.

I predict we take two of three. The only game that I'm iffy about is the middle game. Neither Blanton or Sabathia have been very consistent, although they are both starting to come out of that. And hopefully our offense can keep scoring runs too. Looks to be a good series either way.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: A's @ Indians; 3-game set

I think the A's can take 2 of 3. Blanton vs Sabathia should be fun to watch.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

we've been pretty good on the road...best winning % last I checked. Hopefully, it will continue

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah we still have the best wining % on the road (11-7). Exactly why we should capitalize on this three-city road trip.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ugh so we lost today. Shutout AGAIN. Duke pitched a great game, allowing only one run over 6 or so innings while striking out six. Unfortunately Byrd outpitched him, and he took advantage of our streaky offense. Final score: 4-0 Indians win.

We are just killing ourselves right now. If we want to win games, we've got to get some consistent offense. Scoring 12 runs in one game then getting shut out the next just doesn't cut it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm excited for you guys. Rajai Davis is batting leadoff tonight!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, well it sure didn't help our offense much. Shutout again, this time 2-0. Blanton pitched well but was the hard luck loser. Surprise, surprise. Hopefully we can salvage tomorrow's game before heading into interleague play in Atlanta.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

wow...terrible start to the road trip

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Guess what everyone...WE WERE SWEPT OUTTA TOWN! Ugh I pulled just about every hair out of my head during this game. Smith was living on the edge the entire time. We weren't capitalizing on mistake pitches or runners on base, and if that wasn't enough, Casilla hurt himself throwing a pitch to Peralta that would eventually be a homer.