Thread: Finally, we've got some solid pitching prospects again

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Finally, we've got some solid pitching prospects again

The recent trades and recent drafts have definitely strengthened our pitching. The prevailing thought is that we need 2B/SS/3B specs now. That seems to be out main weakness in the minors. Look at our possible rotations here:

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Notebook: Padres likely to start Gerut in left field

Speaking of the A's, their Class AAA rotation will feature lefties Gio Gonzalez, Greg Smith, Dallas Braden and Dan Meyer, but their rotation at Class A Stockton should be even more impressive. That group will include righty Trevor Cahill, the team's top pick in 2006; righty Henry Rodriguez, who throws 96 to 100 mph; righty Fautino De Los Santos, who came with Gonzalez in the Nick Swisher trade; and lefty Brett Anderson, who, like Smith, arrived in the Dan Haren trade ...
    That also includes last year's #1 pick, James Simmons, who is at AA.

ADH, this would be a great year for you to check out the specs at Stockton...didn't you say you lived near there or something?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Finally, we've got some solid pitching prospects again

Beane is a genius at drafts and getting prospects. I saw where the Yankees were asking about Harden and that Beane would want Kennedy. Blanton could also bring in some good prospects.

MLB ERA

yea, I don't think there's a lot of truth to the Harden rumor at this point. I'd think they'd wait for him to prove he's healthy and increase his value, but then again if they think he'll get hurt again, they may move him. But they said they won't discount him, which to me says they don't really want to move him unless they're bowled over. The Yankees would never do that and nor would I expect them, too. Once it gets closer to the trade deadline, Blanton and/or Harden could be moved. I don't think anything happens at this point unless a team get a serious injury and is desperate.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I say keep Harden. When healthy, he has the nastiest stuff in the big leagues. A's have invested so much in him so keep him around. It's not like he's breaking the bank.

MLB ERA

IIRC, he's under control through 2009, too...so there's no rush. I'd think Beane would like to get more out of his investment rather than dump him.

MLB ERA

At any rate, by the time Harden is not under control, some of these guys should be ready if we can't him. I'd like to keep him if he is healthy, but at least we have some great guys in the minors now.

MLB ERA

Craig Italiano threw a combined no-hitter the other day with 9 k's. He was one of our top specs before a couple of injuries (an arm injury and getting hit with a line drive). It was only a 7 inning game due to it being a double header...game one went to extras and combined, the pitching shutout the other team for all 17 innings

Scout.com: Zeros! Italiano, Dewing Combine For No-No