Thread: Cust's Denial

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cust's Denial

ESPN - Cust questions source behind his inclusion in Mitchell report - MLB

Speaking Saturday at the A's annual FanFest, Cust said the circumstances surrounding his inclusion in the report were "unfair," adding he doesn't remember speaking with Bigbie about steroids and that the two were not locker neighbors while playing for Ottawa.

"He was a teammate of mine five years ago and we haven't talked since," Cust said. "I don't remember any conversations about [steroids]. He might have misinterpreted something I said, but I don't remember anything.

"I read the report, and he said he had the locker next to me. I didn't have a locker next to him. I don't know how something like that gets misinterpreted, but I haven't talked to him in five years. ... A lot of people say the same thing, that it seems weird my name is in there when there were other cases where there was a lot more [evidence] accrued."
    I dunno...just thought I'd post it if anyone was interested. He has denied it since the report came out...who knows?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Cust's Denial

It's amzing this is just now coming out. I believe Cust here since nothing out of the ordinary happened with his stats. He's always had power.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I can buy Cust's denial, especially if Cust's first reaction at seeing his name in the report went something like: "WTF? I never had a locker next to his!" And it's not as if Bigbie ever claimed he injected Cust with steroids.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    It's amzing this is just now coming out. I believe Cust here since nothing out of the ordinary happened with his stats. He's always had power.
    actually, posted on the ESPN boards:

This is from SFgate.com DEC 14, 2007

"Jack is extremely, extremely disappointed his name is in any way mentioned in connection to any type of performance-enhancin g substance," Cust's agent, Gregg Clifton, said Thursday evening. "At no time has he had a conversation with Larry Bigbie about steroids - and at no time in his career has he had a locker next to Larry Bigbie."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I meant its sad this is now a news story when it happened so long ago. poor journalism in the two worst weeks for it leading up to the Super Bowl. Recycling news. I honestly woke up this morning and forgot all about the Super Bowl

MLB ERA

oh, OK...I thought you meant why did it take so long for him to say something.

MLB ERA

This is a non-issue with me as far as Jack goes. I'm more interested to see if Jack can maintain the type of numbers he put up last season.