Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007/2008 A's Off-Season Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

2007/2008 A's Off-Season Thread

What would you like to see the A's do this off-season? What do you think they will actually do? Do you think Chavez will be back to being effective next year (after shoulder and back surgery)? Do you think the A's will seal the deal in Fremont (seems like there have been some issues in the recent weeks)?

MLB ERA

Re: 2007/2008 A's Off-Season Thread

Hmmmm where to start?

1) Trade Crosby and suck it up at short

2) We really need a new stadium

3) What to do with Harden?

This isn't as broken as it appears. I think give Cust a 1 year deal but I'm still not convinced he can do it for a whole season. We're probably going to have to replace Stewart as well which sucks because I love having him on this team. Chavez? Pfft who knows at this point.

I've read that Billy will be pretty active this offseason so we'll see.

MLB ERA

I'm pretty certain Cust is under control...I don't think he's up for FA or even arby.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yup I think Cust will be around...

Ok so the A's made a few changes to the managerial staff. For one, Geren is returning. Surprise, surprise. Ok so Lachemann, Fischer, and Schaefer will not be returning (Young, Van Berkleo, and Waller are returning). I personally will miss them all A LOT. Lachemann was such a great guy. Kept the clubhouse loose and really knew what his purpose was. Same with Schaefer. But Fischer is just...well I think the 29 years says it all. He's been so dedicated to the A's system, it's sad to see them go. And to find out that you've been released via a 2 min long phone call? I thought that Billy was a little better than that. But hey, one has to move on, and Geren deserves to pick some of his own coaches. We'll see how that turns out later...

MLB ERA

I hope we make some trades and at least 1 decent FA signing. Really, as has been the case the last couple years, it's all going to come down to health with this team.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I hope we make some trades and at least 1 decent FA signing. Really, as has been the case the last couple years, it's all going to come down to health with this team.
    I've heard/read that Billy will be active. Not being in the playoffs feels kinda weird.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was reading online that the A's might go after a big name outfielder (Jones, Hunter). That was a big might though, plus I don't think we really need anymore outfielders, health pending of course. I don't see it happening though. Knowing Beane, he'll find some guy towards the end of his career and keep him for a year or so.

MLB ERA

do you have a link for that? Because I've seen the opposite in the mailbag on the A's site...

MLB ERA

Snelling was claimed on waivers by TB. We claimed RHP Jose Garcia from Florida...no, he won't become Jose Casilla. Our AAA manager Tony DeFrancesco is our new 3rd base coach. We hired Don Wakamatsu to be our bench coach from Texas. Ron Romanick will take over as our bullpen coach. He was a roving minor league instructor for us. Jay Marshall was claimed on waivers by the Red Sox and Kevin Thompson was claimed by Pittsburgh.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wow...quite a bit of change. Hopefully it'll all be for the better and we'll be back in the playoff hunt in '08.

MLB ERA

Welp let's see how this new stadium goes over in Fremont and we can all expect the enviro-screamers to have their say here.

We'll see:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingn...nclick_check=1

MLB ERA

2011 here we come!!

In more immediate news it appears the Mets are yet again interested in trying to obtain starting pitching from us (Blanton / Haren):

THE HAREN NOW

PHILS CLOSE THE DEAL FOR LIDGE

Cashman, Minaya taking wait-and-see approach

I'd be shocked if we traded Haren. I'd say we're more likely to deal Blanton, but I guess it all depends on the direction Beane wants to go.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree. Blanton seems to be one of the ones to go, if any at all. But I'm hoping that it doesn't get that far because I like Joe in our rotation. He fits nicely, IMO. And I like his ethics and how he works. But hey, whatever happens, happens.

MLB ERA

More Haren trade rumors...

A's feeling ripples across bay on ChicagoSports.com

If general manager Billy Beane had committed to Bonds, it would have signaled an attempt to win the American League West in 2008. With Bonds out of the picture, it will be easier for Beane to decide that an old-fashioned rebuilding is in order, putting All-Star Game starter Dan Haren in play for a possible blockbuster trade.
    And I keep seeing rumors that if Haren / Blanton go, Street and others won't be too far behind. A lot depends on health, but I wish we had some more money available and would go after Fukudome to play LF and bat in the middle of the lineup. I know we need a right-handed bat, but there just isn't much out there.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A's GM Billy Beane met with agent Alan Hendricks about a long-term deal for Huston Street on Wednesday.
    Beane said Wednesday's chat was positive, but nothing is imminent. Street is eligible for arbitration for the first time and is three years away from free agency.
    Good to hear Beane wants to keep him now. There were reports Street, Haren and Blanton were all available.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast