Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007/2008 A's Off-Season Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: 2007/2008 A's Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Cleaning some more room it looks like. If the A's are eating all that dough, they should get a MLB ready player.
    well, it looks like we will get a better prospect for eating $5 mil or so...we don't MLB ready guys right now.

Also, we signed Emil Brown to a 1-year deal...probably just to allow newly acquired OF specs to get more time in the minors.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joey Devine is Oakland’s top target in trade talks with the Braves regarding Mark Kotsay.
    The Chronicle’s Susan Slusser believes the trade hinges on cash, and the Braves could still pull out of talks and wait to see how Kotsay does in spring training. Devine for Kotsay could be a steal for Oakland. Devine’s command issues may not ever completely go away, but he’ll be at least a quality setup man anyway.
    I have never been a Devine fan but at least he can help right away.

MLB ERA

apparently, the deal is pending a physical...and the A's may receive an A ball pitcher. lastly, this could be a precursor to a Street trade...it'll be interesting to see.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well it's a done deal now. To top it off, there's also rumors of Devine becoming our new closer if (and seemingly when) Street departs...

MLB ERA

Duke, Street, and Blanton have all avoided arbitration and signed 1-year deals...

It looks like Blanton may be staying and the A's are prepping him and Harden to start the 2 game in Japan...we'll see

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's leaves Gaudin as the only guy still eligible for arbitration. I see him being signed. It's soooo in the cards.

MLB ERA

Gaudin signed today for $1.775 mil. Street was signed for $3.3 mil. Blanton was signed for $3.7 mil.

We also claimed OF Jeff Fiorentino off waivers from Cincinnati. Lugo was DFA.

MLB ERA

Fanfest tomorrow and it's supposed to rain like crazy. It's tough enough to move around near the concession areas as it is especially with a four year old.

We'll see how the weather is in the morning.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was supposed to go to FanFest (I had tickets and everything) but I had to bow out at the last minute. It would've been too hard to get around in my wheelchair. My friends said it was fun...did anyone else end up going?

Turn 2

HCG: Sorry you missed out. I bet it was fun. What players were supposed to be there?

MLB ERA

Anybody want to place odds on how many starts Harden will have this year? If he can stay healthy it will greatly offset the loss of Haren IMO but I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't even know his current health status.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Harden will get 14 starts. I hope he gets more becuase he has some of the best stuff in the AL.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A's agreed to terms with first baseman Mike Sweeney on a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Sweeney spent 13 seasons in Kansas City, making $11 million in each of the past five years, but apparently couldn't get a major league deal on the open market after two straight injury wrecked seasons. He'll likely have to settle for platooning against left-handed pitching in Oakland, but between Daric Barton, Jack Cust and Dan Johnson there should be plenty of chances for Sweeney to get into the lineup against southpaws.
    Good job by Beane to get Sweeney on a minor league deal. The guy may have lost his power and not able to be a full timer but he can still hit for average. I don't understand why they did sign him but its good that they aren't spending a lot on him.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Good job by Beane to get Sweeney on a minor league deal. The guy may have lost his power and not able to be a full timer but he can still hit for average. I don't understand why they did sign him but its good that they aren't spending a lot on him.
    Thanks for posting that reefer and it's a typical Beane signing.

MLB ERA

Bankston was released to make room for Foulke on the roster (we had picked him on waivers during the off-season).

The Sweeney signing may mean the end of Dan Johnson's time as an Athletic.

Also, as far as Harden...the dude has been throwing in AZ for a while now.

A's sign Foulke

No. 2 starter Rich Harden has thrown off the mound three times in the past week and "feels tremendous," Young said.
    I'm not really worried about him too much since we're not exactly competing this year anyway. Hopefully, he'll be healthy from this point on and still be around when we are ready to compete again. He's got the next couple years to get into a groove.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast