Thread: Beane not panicing...yet

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA

Beane not panicing...yet

The A's have sunk to new depths after their impressive six-year run, but the man who built them into a perennial contender isn't ready to tear down the structure completely.

General manager Billy Beane, who has never been one to sit idly by without making a move or two, is resisting the temptation to shake things up, for the time being. During a phone interview from the Bay Area on Thursday before his team lost 2-1 to complete a three-game sweep by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Beane said it's unfair to judge the A's because of their crippling run of injuries.

The list is long. It started Opening Day, when Bobby Crosby fractured two ribs. The shortstop, who hasn't played since, is expected to return Monday, when the A's return home. They're also missing their closer (Octavio Dotel), best starting pitcher (Rich Harden) and setup man (Kiko Calero).

Right fielder Nick Swisher was activated from the disabled list Wednesday, but the A's have been without reliever Chad Bradford all season with a back injury.

"Anyone following the team and our 25-man roster, we didn't plan on playing with some of these guys," Beane said. "Some of these struggles aren't that much of a surprise. We have a number of guys who we weren't banking on being here. That being said, we've had some guys who have historically played much better who haven't. A team like ours has to hit on all cylinders to be successful."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...ight&type=lgns

AA ERA
    This season was doomed the minute Hudson and Mulder was gone.

I will be stunned if Macha is here for the next homestand. If he is not fired then, when will he be fired. You would have to think he will be here the entire year.

AAA ERA
    Yeah the article said that Macha's job was safe and I read a few weeks ago that Wolff said the same thing.

There HAS to be a fall guy. I cant believe our hitting coach still has a job.

AA ERA
    I guess the A's are going with Macha this entire year. I am all for sticking with him, but the guys have quit on him and it's showing. I am not even sure if any players love playing for him.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    c'mon! everyone knows Beane is the real manager anyway...macha is his puppet...macha is Beane's bush...

AAA ERA
    We know Macha is Beane's puppet but we have to have someone to blame.