Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy: try to compete with the Angels by making a few splashes of their own

1 16.67%
  • Stand pat: Stick with the original plan anyway

3 50.00%
  • Sell: Trade anybody and everybody with the exception of prospects

2 33.33%

Thread: What should the A's do if the Angels sign A-Rod??

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What should the A's do if the Angels sign A-Rod??

What do you think the A's should do if that happens? Realistically, I don't think the A's have a shot at the division for the next 3 - 4 years if the Angels sign him. Yes, we could always shoot for the Wild Card, but I think Beane should sell off everything except for prospects. I just can't see the A's having much of a chance with a lineup including Vlad, A-Rod, and possibly Bonds as the DH to go along with their pitching and other young specs.

I could easily see the Angels putting a huge run together under that scenario. They've always had good pitching and played small ball well. They just have never really had a legitimate bat to protect/complement Vlad...and A-Rod would fit that perfectly. If I'm Beane and that happens, I'm selling.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: What should the A's do if the Angels sign A-Rod??

You can't just give up...A-Rod does not ensure a division championship.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

not A-Rod alone, but combined with Vlad and the young players, it's pretty much pointless. A strong right-handed bat is exactly what they need.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see Vlad and ARod getting along but that could be me. The A's need better years out of that pitching staff especially the bullpen. Is Jack Cust going to repeat? A's definitely need a power hitter in that OF.

AA ERA

If the Angels managed to sign Pay-Rod and it does have a direct impact on what the A's will do this offseason, if anything I hope they decide to trade off some of their vets and major league talent. I doubt that will happen but if the Red Sox can't/don't resign Lowell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Sox take a shot at Eric Chavez, I think he could put up better numbers than he did his last season 2 seasons in Oakland if he came to Fenway.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Going off on a tangent, almost anyone perfoms worse offensively inside of the Colliseum because of the huge foul territory (it drops the BA anywhere from 7-10 pts). But anyways, I think that the A's should let players go, like many of you have said. I wouldn't say all, but definately a majority. I just don't know if Beane would be able to sell everyone. But hey it's Mr. Beane, he'll figure something out...right?

MLB ERA

Wow this is a brutal question and thought. IMO we would either have to go very pitching heavy or continue to try and compete. No way can I accept getting rid of everybody. That said if the new ballpark actualy happens in Fremont then that could positively or negatively effect the product on the field (at least in the first few years).

MLB ERA

well, by "getting rid of everyone worth something" I mean getting specs that aren't too far away...that would be able to be ready around the time the new park opens (2011 or so). I don't mean just dump people and get crap for them.

AAA ERA

Where is the option for Celebrate?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    well, by "getting rid of everyone worth something" I mean getting specs that aren't too far away...that would be able to be ready around the time the new park opens (2011 or so). I don't mean just dump people and get crap for them.
    That's not the way I read it Prov and my point is we still have a team that can compete at least next season especially given all the injuries we had this year. FWIW I hope A-Rod goes to the NL.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Where is the option for Celebrate?
    You don't think the Angels would win the division with A-Rod? They won it last year without him. He would fill their major need to go along with their young players. Sure, they might not go anywhere in the playoffs, but I'm sure they'd be in, which would make it harder for us to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard View Post
    That's not the way I read it Prov and my point is we still have a team that can compete at least next season especially given all the injuries we had this year. FWIW I hope A-Rod goes to the NL.
    What did you think I meant? Dump everyone and get crap for them? From what I've read, Beane is already deciding whether to go for it or rebuild this year. As of now that is dependent on the health of key players. I think if the Angels sign A-Rod it will tip the scales over to rebuild since he's already thinking about it.