Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Spring Training Thread

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Joe Kennedy was pounded for five runs and eight hits in two innings by the Cubs on Wednesday.

Kennedy entered camp as the heavy favorite to act as the Athletics' fifth starter, but he's allowed nine runs and 14 hits in 3 2/3 innings so far. If he doesn't step up, the A's may have to look into some trade possibilities. Brad Halsey is the best internal alternative. Former Athletic Mark Redman is still out there, and the A's might have the money to take on Jon Lieber's contract after doing little to replace Barry Zito.
    Who do you want to take the spot A's fans, are you happy with Kennedy or do you want Redman/Leiber?

Personally, I think Kennedy would be just as effective as the other guys going out there every fifth day, despite the shaky starts.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    uhhh, Kotsay...unbelievable! I'm so sick of all these injuries the last 3 years. I don't want Redman or Lieber...It's spring training. I'm not concerned with Kennedy's results (or anyone really). I just want them to be healthy and to get to where they need to be. Results in ST are only a small part of that...I don't like those other options. I'd go with Halsey, Windsor, or Komine before getting one of those bums.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think the A's are fine on pitching. I'm puzzled that Redman still doesnt have a job or at least a MLC. Plenty of teams need starters and left handed starters are a commodity even if it is Redman. Kotsay's injury is making the Shannon Stewart singing looking good now.

MLB ERA
    Redman signed with Atlanta today due to Hampton getting hurt again.

Harden was sharp again today with 3 shutout innings and 4 k's vs. the Giants. The fact that he appears to be healthy and strong already has me very excited about this season for him.

MLB ERA
    No other injuries to report at the moment. The A's beat both the Angels and Giants today. Barton had a solid day going 3 for 5 with a homer. Chavez and Swisher also homered.

MLB ERA
    Kennedy continues to struggle as he pitched 3 2/3 innings while giving up 4 earned runs today. His ST ERA is almost 16. He's not showing that he really wants that #5 spot. Durazo hit a homer today and Piazza knocked in a run.

Herrera had the game winning single in the bottom of 9th yesterday against the Giants.

MLB ERA
    My bad for not being around as I've had the worst flu EVER. It was nice watching preseason baseball for a week. I was able to watch the A's/Giants last night and Shannon Stewart looks real good and they had him running on some hit and run plays as well. I don't know if it was just last night or what but the A's seemed very aggressive on the bases. Durazo is also pasting the ball and is tearing it up this spring. Haren was good early but had one rough inning. It was a Giants telecast so they had Zito on during a whole friggin inning but it was the inning where we scored three runs so it was a little weird. He's a good dude tho and no hate from me in fact I'm kinda glad he at least stayed in the Bay Area and didn't go some New York team. Got my first look at Barton and a couple other guys as well.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    i wouldnt make too much of a bad spring training, but a good one may have some life to it, IMO

i'd let kennedy start at least 5 games before i go out looking for an alternative, but thats just me

i think the pitching staff will be just fine, and if not, let Halsey step in before we go and shop for a cheap starter

im not too fond of the Leiber idea, however

AA ERA
    ^ Welcome to the forums dude.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Harden stirkes out 9 in 3.2 innings

im pretty excited about the season he could have, but at the same time i dont want to jinx anything so ill just say "ill beleive it when i see it"

MLB ERA
    Yea, there's no doubt what Harden can do when he's on the mound...hopefully, he'll be there this season.

MLB ERA
    Looks like Piazza is healthy after the HBP scare and Kennedy continues to get hammered.

The Official Site of The Oakland Athletics: News: Oakland Athletics News

MLB ERA
    it just doesn't seem like Kennedy wants it badly. It's his spot to lose...or so it seems. I know you can't really go by ST results, but he just hasn't pitched well at all. I'm more concerned with how Loaiza and Blanton do though to be honest. If Harden is healthy like he appears to be, then I'm not worried about him and Haren. The 3 and 4 are going to be key.

Haren is starting opening day in Seattle and Harden is starting opening night at home.

MLB ERA
    Harden has 25 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings this spring.

MLB ERA
    Just turned on the A's vs Royals and it's 1-1 bottom of the first with Fatso on the mound. Joe was in trouble but he's working out of it.

Scratch that Fatso just gave up a rocket off the wall for a run scoring double.

2-1 Royals.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast