View Poll Results: What is the A's biggest need this off-season?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign a starting pitcher

1 12.50%
  • Resign Frank Thomas

1 12.50%
  • Sign Swisher and Street to long-term deals

3 37.50%
  • Make a huge trade to improve the offense

3 37.50%
  • Replace Macha

0 0%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2006 / 2007 A's Off-Season Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGQINARV71.DTL

Interestingly, though, the next cleat to fall will not be on the Giants' side, but in Oakland, where the dramatically more successful Athletics, having already lost Frank Thomas, Jay Payton and Ken Macha, are likely to also dispatch their winningest pitcher, Joe Blanton, to New York as part of a deal that would fetch one of Billy Beane's longest-held desirables, outfielder Lastings Milledge.
    Blanton had one of the highest run supports in the AL. I'd like this a lot better if we get something in addition to Milledge...considering Blanton is somewhat proven as a major league pitcher and Milledge hasn't proven anything really.

MLB ERA
    The A's signed Melhuse avoiding arbitration. It is a one year contract with terms undisclosed.

AA ERA
    The Melhuse deal is worth $815,000 but could be worth more with incentives.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2721851
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    A's "seriously" interested in Erstad?

Erstad said six teams have expressed serious interest in signing him, either as a left fielder, center fielder or utility player. Though he declined to name the teams, the Oakland Athletics, Baltimore Orioles, Colorado Rockies and Seattle Mariners are believed to be among them.
    meh...

MLB ERA
    Erstad? No thanks and I'm sure the money could be better spent elswhere.

MLB ERA
    Yea, I don't get it...maybe as a 4th/5th OF in case Bradley or Kotsay get hurt, but otherwise, I don't see how he would fit.

MLB ERA
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4976722

OAKLAND — Infielder Antonio Perez signed a one-year contract Monday for about $500,000, the second of nine arbitration-eligible players on the A's roster to agree to terms. Backup catcher Adam Melhuse agreed last week.

In addition, the A's signed former major league utility infielder Lou Merloni to a minor league deal, with an invitation to spring training. The A's remain interested in free agent Darin Erstad as an outfielder and first baseman.

Erstad told the Los Angeles Times six teams expressed interest in him. If the A's signed Erstad, it would not necessarily prevent them from pursuing a young outfielder via a trade.

Assistant general manager David Forst hopes to agree to terms with 2-3 more arbitration-eligible players by the end of the week. Teams and agents exchange figures Jan. 16, but Forst is optimistic the team can sign all the players without having to go to hearings in early February.
    A's signed Perez. A's signed Merloni to a MLC. They're still "interested" in Erstad. And they're looking at avoiding arbitration with the remaining 7 players. Beane has only gone to arby twice and won both times.

MLB ERA
    The Mets signing Scott Schoeneweis could be a sign that Heilman or another pitcher will be moved...Blanton for Milledge and Heilman?

MLB ERA
    Fat-boy drives me crazy but I don't know man he's never missed a start.

In Billy I trust. As an A's fan I just wait until mid Feb, see who's left and go from there.

MLB ERA
    apparently, the A's made a one year offer to Erstad. see here

OAKLAND -- The A's have made a one-year contract offer to free-agent first baseman/outfielder Darin Erstad, MLB.com learned on Friday afternoon.

Oakland assistant general manager David Forst did not disclose financial details of the offer but confirmed that the club presented it last week to Erstad's agent, Greg Genske, and Forst was hoping to hear back from Genske by the end of this week.

"We know some other teams have expressed interest," Forst said, "but we don't have any idea how many offers have been made."
    Perhaps they're going to trade someone as I didn't think we really had room.

MLB ERA
    arbitration update see here:

The Oakland Athletics, who have had more players (34) go through a hearing than any other Major League organization during the history of salary arbitration, had seven players file on Friday, tying the Pittsburgh Pirates for the most this year.
    The 7 players are:
    MR Kiko Calero
    MR Justin Duchscherer
    SP/MR Joe Kennedy
    SP/MR Kirk Saarloos
    IF Marco Scutaro
    OF Bobby Kielty
    OF Milton Bradley

As has been stated before, Beane has never lost an arbitration case and the A's hope to come to terms with all 7. Forst has mentioned that all would likely be 1 year deals unless something happened like it did with Ellis last year where the opportunity arose for a multi-year deal and it made sense for both sides.

MLB ERA
    Didn't Calero go to arbitration last year? I remember him getting like $800K.

MLB ERA
    I believe the last person to go was Cruz and Beane crushed him. Calero must have signed a one year deal IIRC.

AAA ERA
    I want to wish the A's and all my A's friends the best of luck for a winning 2007 season and a return to post season play.

GO A'S IN THE 2007 SEASON!

MLB ERA
    4 avoid arbitration

OAKLAND -- The A's on Tuesday announced that they've avoided arbitration with outfielder Milton Bradley, right-hander Kiko Calero, lefty Joe Kennedy and infielder Marco Scutaro by agreeing to terms with them on one-year contracts for the 2007 season.
    According to the Associated Press, Kennedy's contract calls for a base salary of $2.8 million, and he could earn an additional $300,000 in performance bonuses under terms of the deal; $100,000 each for 20 and 25 starts, and an additional $50,000 each for 27 and 30 starts. Details of the other deals had not been released as of Tuesday afternoon.
    Kielty, Duke, and Saarloos are the only 3 left to sign.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast