Thread: Record does not reflect Zito

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Record does not reflect Zito

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/11765716.htm

Record doesn't reflect A's pitcher Barry Zito

BY JOE RODERICK

Knight Ridder Newspapers

CLEVELAND - (KRT) - Although his 1-6 record is hardly Barry Zito-like, there's nothing wrong with the 2002 Cy Young Award winner, who has been pitching very well since allowing 11 runs (eight earned) in 3 1/3 innings on April 9 against Tampa Bay.

Since that game, Zito has a 3.79 ERA in nine starts (and allowed just six runs in his last three), but has just one win since the A's haven't scored more than four runs in any of his starts. They managed one run four times and zero on two occasions during his stints.

"I feel great," Zito said. "I've given up more than four runs once. For the most part, my stuff has been good. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would say I've been back and forth in my starts."

If you subtract the Devil Rays game from Zito's total, he's allowed 29 runs in 65 1/3 innings for a 3.99 ERA.

There were those who questioned whether Zito could assume the lead role with the A's, but that assessment is off base. Manager Ken Macha has been very pleased with what Zito has done off the field.

"I'm trying to be a leader," Zito said. "I'm telling guys, `Let's not focus on the negative. Put down the papers. Turn off ESPN. Just focus on yourself.' That's what I'm here to do."

On another topic, Zito has spoken several times to his former teammate, Tim Hudson, now with the Atlanta Braves. If the Braves don't alter their rotation, Hudson won't pitch against his former team during a June 10-12 series in Atlanta.

"It would actually be interesting if he faced us," Zito said. "Apparently, he won't."

Hudson is scheduled to pitch the game before the series. Zito is scheduled to pitch the last game of the series.

INJURY NEWS

Pitcher Rich Harden had his most promising throwing session since going on the disabled list May 14 with a strained left oblique muscle. He long tossed with Zito in the outfield, putting zip on his pitches.

"Rich can't do anything easy," trainer Larry Davis said. "I'd rather he throw a little less violent. It doesn't hurt to do that. There are things he needs to do to get on the mound, but the fact that he's throwing that hard, he's light years ahead of others who have had this thing."

One of them was Hudson, who was sidelined anywhere from six-to-eight weeks on two occasions, including last season.

"Rich will be back before that time," Davis said. "Whether he didn't hurt it as bad as Tim is probably the case. He's able to do some things earlier than the Huddy deal."

Closer Octavio Dotel, out since May 19 with a strained right elbow, is progressing much slower than Harden. He played catch for the first time since the injury.

"It's nothing to get terribly excited about," said Davis, adding that Dotel threw without discomfort.

Shortstop Bobby Crosby went 0-for-3 Friday night in his first rehabilitation game with Triple-A Sacramento. His arrival, after a three-game stint at Single-A Stockton, coincided with Bobby Crosby Bobblehead Night in Sacramento. There's a good chance Crosby will be activated Monday, after he takes part in a simulated game at the Coliseum pitched by injured reliever Kiko Calero.

What will the A's do to clear a roster spot for Crosby? They'll face the same dilemma they did near Opening Day, when they needed to send down one of their three second basemen. It was supposed to be versatile Marco Scutaro, but Crosby fractured two ribs and went on the DL.

Scutaro, Mark Ellis and Keith Ginter all have options and can be sent to Sacramento without being subjected to the waiver process. Macha said Scutaro and Ellis' ability to play shortstop and back up Crosby could work in their favor.

Macha and A's general manager Billy Beane discussed the matter over the phone before Saturday's game. In Macha's mind, Scutaro has proven his value to the team, first replacing injured Ellis all last season and now Crosby.

"For me, that has some weight," Macha said. "He's actually swinging the bat real well. The guy has done everything we've asked him to do."

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    I clicked the link, it says I have to register to read the story

But I agree, Zito should have at least a .500 record if our offense was halfway decent.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    there ya go

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Thanks

Like I said, I agree about the Zito assessment. Too bad he doesn't have more wins to show for his efforts.

As for clearing a roster spot for Crosby, I hope Ginter's the one that ends up at Sacramento.