Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A's Fans, what do you think will happen with Zito?

AAA ERA

A's Fans, what do you think will happen with Zito?

Since the end od last season baseball fans all over the country have been dreaming of Barry Zito coming to their team. What do you think? Will he resign with the A's? Will he be traded mid year? There are two questions here. What do you think will happen? What would you like to happen? I think it is time for the Oakland fans to speak up reguarding one of the best pitchers in Oakland history.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I think he walks after this season. I don't see him staying in Oakland unless he took an extreme home town discount, which I don't think will happen anyway. I doubt he'll be traded if we're in it like we are now even with the injuries.

AAA ERA
    But, if the A's could trade for another quality pitcher would it not make sense to trade Zito and get something back rather than let him walk?

MLB ERA
    I don't think any team would do that if they know that he'll be a free agent at the end of the year. He's an important part of the team and won't get traded if we're still in the hunt...we're in 1st place.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The mets might get really desperate and give up ...too much for Zito, especially if they keep getting Lima-time performances.

I hope not =(
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    The mets might get really desperate and give up ...too much for Zito, especially if they keep getting Lima-time performances.

I hope not =(
    as of right now they're saying they refuse to give up "core" players such as Wright, Heilman, Reyes, Milledge, and others...so they're not going to get anything if that's their plan. I read they might get Livan Hernandez because they wouldn't have to give up any of the "core" players.

AAA ERA
    Providence A's... No, what my thought was if they traded another player (say an outfielder) for a quality pitcher, than would it not make sense to trade Zito for what ever the market bears so you will not end up with nothing? Just a thought.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    as of right now they're saying they refuse to give up "core" players such as Wright, Heilman, Reyes, Milledge, and others...so they're not going to get anything if that's their plan. I read they might get Livan Hernandez because they wouldn't have to give up any of the "core" players.
    I wonder if other teams value Reyes as much as they do.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Providence A's... No, what my thought was if they traded another player (say an outfielder) for a quality pitcher, than would it not make sense to trade Zito for what ever the market bears so you will not end up with nothing? Just a thought.
    I don't think they'd be able to get another quality (already proven or ready to play in the majors type) pitcher whether they dealt Zito for one or dealt someone else for one and then Zito afterwards.

I know I've said this a million times (at least it feels like I have), but Zito won't go anywhere as far as a trade is concerned unless the A's play their way out of making the playoffs or the injuries continue and then they fall apart. Zito is pitching well, so we're not going be able to get someone better right now to offset trading him. We get 2 draft picks if he walks (1st rounder and a compensation pick after the 1st and before the 2nd round).

The A's have more of a history of letting players walk (Giambi, Tejada, Damon, Foulke, Isringhausen, etc) and getting draft picks than trading them (Mulder and Hudson) and getting specs and MLB ready players. That is what I think will happen...after the season (preferably after winning the World Series), Zito walks and the A's take 2 picks in the 2007 draft...especially since we don't have a 1st round pick this season.

If the A's were out of it for whatever reason, then Beane would trade him and I know the Mets and Dodgers have specs and MLB ready players he wants or would want, but the Mets won't trade those players and I'm sure the Dodgers won't either if they think they can sign Zito in the off-season.

Due to the fact that there are over 2 months left at the trade deadline teams are going to be reluctant to give up 3 specs / MLB ready players unless they know Zito will help them win the World Series (this would be under the scenario that the A's are completely out of it and want to rape a team's farm system). I just don't see that happening either.

MLB ERA
    also...

If Zito were to be traded under the scenarios that I outlined, I would find the following packages acceptable.

Zito to the Mets for Milledge OF, Heilman LHP, and another close to MLB ready spec or another good pitching spec.

Zito to the Dodgers for Billingsley RHP or Broxton RHP and 2 other great specs such as Martin C, Elbert LHP, etc.

I don't see the Yankees and Red Sox being able to meet Beane's needs with their farm systems. The Red Sox are in a better position, but I don't think Zito would sign with them after the season.

I don't think Beane would trade Zito to the Angels because their in the same division.

and for all the Padres fans...

Zito to the Padres for 3 good / close to MLB ready specs 2 of which would need to be pitchers.

MLB ERA
    I don't know if this is true or not, but my guess would be that if Beane made that offer, he did it to let the Mets know they're not getting Zito and to stop bugging him.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Barry big trade request

The A's requested either David Wright or Jose Reyes for Barry Zito. With Eric Chavez in the fold, I guess they'd have figured out what to do with Wright later.

Of course, the Mets retained their sanity, along with Wright and Reyes.

Understandably, the Mets now view Zito as a winter target.

Wright and Reyes aren't going anywhere, but the next most untouchable on the Mets' list, even ahead of Lastings Milledge, might be Mike Pelfrey.

AAA ERA
    What about the new ownership. Is there a chance that they will pay Zito enough to stay?

MLB ERA
    they've said that they won't increase payroll dramatically until they get a new baseball only stadium even though they are 3rd richest team (at the time of the sale) as far as resources go. The majority owner owns Gap among other things.

AAA ERA
    We will see! It would send a BIG message to the fans to keep one of the best pitchers in Baseball in Oakland!!

AA ERA
    Like I have said before and I agree with Providence A's, Beane will only deal Zito if the A's are out of the hunt but I wouldn't see a problem if Beane could make a move similar to the Mulder and Hudson deals where they got young ML ready talent.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast