Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees vs. Red Sox

MLB ERA
    .262, 19 HR, 71 RBI are unproductive? Varitek's only thing over Posada is a Batting Average 18 pts higher. If Posada is unproductive, so is Varitek

18 pts is a lot.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    but not that much.

If you factor in defense and game calling, that is a lot. Besides, Posada is the worst base runner in the AL.

MLB ERA
    You figure Posada hits his lifetime average, .269, and repeats his stats, Varitek hits his lifetime average, .272, and repeats his season, and there isn't any significant difference. Game calling only matters so much, and when the Yankees have Veteran Pitchers like they do, it isn't that vital. As for fielding percentage, Posada had a .996 while Varitek's was .990, 2 pts below the league average. And Posada's lifetime is 1 pt lower than Tek's. So really, how much better is Varitek?

Lifetime? Posada is declining rapidly.His OBP dropped 50 points last year. And Fielding % aint that important. The fact that Posada has a noodle arm is. Varitek doesn't have a cannon, but his arm is much better than Jorge's. Posada has also never won a GG at C.

MLB ERA
    And a Catcher winning a GG is poppy-**** anyway. What way can you truly judge a Catcher's fielding talent? The best ones aren't noticeable. ANd Varitek is also on the way down. I'd never expect him to hit over hil Lifetime BA again. The sad thing is, Posada is just as good as a healthy Varitek, and I didn't compare Jorge and Tek but rather Giambi and Tek.

You're comparing a DH to a C. Great comparison.

Notice how you had nothing to say about Posada's 50 point drop in OBP?

MLB ERA

Fielding Comparison

C: Jason Varitek vs. Jorge Posada: Both aging rapidly, Posada can still adquately hold himself, but since I don't like to see General cry, I'll give it to Tek
    (Bos +)

1B: JT Snow/Kevin Youkilis/Hee Seop Choi vs. Giambi/Andy Phillips: Neither team has a really good option here. Snow would be by far the best defender here, but his skills are fading quickly. Youkilis/Choi aren't really good fielders. Giambi is atrocious. He can't throw or field. Phillips is somewhat promising, but not enough to sway this vote. Push.
    (Bos + Nyy)

2B: Robinson Cano vs. Mark Loretta: This one is painful for Yankee fans. Cano has significant fielding potential, but after his disgusting play at the position last year, his stock drops. Loretta too is aging, but must get the nod over the 2nd worst 2nd baseman in the ML fielding wise last year.
    (Bos +)

SS: Derek Jeter vs. Alex Gonzalez: Is this a joke?
    (Nyy +)

3B: Alex Rodriguez vs. Mike Lowell: I'm going to catch some flak as a homer here, but I'm giving it to A-Rod. A-Rod is one of the best fielders at this position, and his range and arm are uncanny. Although Lowell won a Gold Glove last year, it's only a matter of time before his deteriorating takes to the field.
    (Nyy +)

RF: Gary Sheffield/Bubba Crosby vs. Trot Nixon/Wily Mo Pena: I put Bubba on this list because he is likely to spell Sheffield and get him some DH at-bats. All of the players here have guns, except Bubba. But Bubba has more range and fielding talent. Sheff is a decent fielder, about even with Trot, but I must push this because Wily Mo gives range and talent to RF this year.
    (Bos + Nyy)

CF: Johnny Damon vs. Coco Crisp: This one is hard to call. Damon has excellent abilities at getting to the ball quickly, but his arm is lacking. Coco is exceptionally speedy, but his moxie in CF doesn't compare with Damon. Either way, Coco wins this one over Damon strictly because of arm strength and speed.
    (Bos +)

LF: Manny Ramirez vs. Hideki Matsui: Hideki is a solid fielder, and Manny is like a 2 year old lost in college calculus. Edge to Matsui.
    (Nyy +)

Best Fielding Pitcher between the teams: Mike Mussina: Moose may be old, but he is still a cat off the mound. Honorable Mention: Chien Ming Wang

Worst Fielding Pitcher between the teams: Matt Clement: This one was close, but when you're a human magnet for baseball, you're gonna have some troubles. Dishonorable Mention: Randy Johnson.

Boston-5
    New York-5

This is a draw. Both teams have many fielding issues, but neither team is very sparkling anywhere.

Posada will prove me right this year. I wonder if he'll even start 100 games?

MLB ERA
    Your an idiot how bout.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    .262, 19 HR, 71 RBI are unproductive? Varitek's only thing over Posada is a Batting Average 18 pts higher. If Posada is unproductive, so is Varitek
    varitek gets big hits, Posada hasn't had one in 3 years. I don't care that he hits a HR in the 8th inning when we are up 8-1, I want him to get a hit when we are down a run or 2 and have runners on base.

MLB ERA
    He does. Haven't you ever noticed him drawing walks consistently when we're down? It always happened, they'd pinch run tony wo or bubba and one of them would score. They're not posada's runs, cuz hes slow as molasses, but they were engineered by him

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    He does. Haven't you ever noticed him drawing walks consistently when we're down? It always happened, they'd pinch run tony wo or bubba and one of them would score. They're not posada's runs, cuz hes slow as molasses, but they were engineered by him
    2005 ALDS:

Game 1: 0-4, 0 BBs, 1 LOB
    Game 2: 2-3, HR, 1 BB, 1 run, 1 RBI(typical Posada hits Hr when it's meaningless down 3 runs and the game over)
    game 3: 0-3, 1 RBI, 2 K's, 0 BBs
    game 4: 1-1, 1 run, 3 BB's(this must be the game yiu are referring to)
    Game 5: 0-2, 2 BBs, 0 RBI, 1 Run

Totals: 3-13, 2 RBI, 6 BBs, 3 runs scored. What would we do w/o him?

2004 ALCS:

Game 1: 0-3, 1 RBI(sac fly to make it 6-0 Yanks), 0 BB's
    Game 2: 1-2, 0 RBI, 2 BBs, 2 LOB, 1 run
    Game 3: 2-5, 1 RBi, 1 BB, 1 run(grounded itno DP to end 1st inning, popped out in 3rd, his RBI came in the inning we made it 17-6)
    Game 4: 2-4, 2 BB's, 0 RBI, 1 run
    Game 5: 2-6, 1 run, 1 BB, 0 RBI
    Game 6: 0-4, 0 RBi, 0 BBs
    Game 7: 0-3, 1 BB

totals: 7-27, 7 BBs, 2 RBI, 4 runs. What would we do w/o him?

2004 ALDS:

Game 1: 2-4, 0 RBI, 0 BB(was gunned down at plate against a C who actually blocks the plate unlike Jorge, grounded into DP w/ tying run on base)
    Game 2: 0-5, 0 BB's, 2 K's
    Game 3: 2-4, 2 runs, 0 RBI, 0 BB's(of course he gets 2 hits in a blowout win)
    game 4: 0-5, 3 K's

totals: 4-18, 0 BB's, 2 runs scored, 0 RBI. What would we do w/o him?

I can keep going back but I won't.

The last 3 series: 16 games, 14-58(.240), 4 RBI, 13 BB's, 9 rusn scored

And he manages to GIDP in almost every situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast