Thread: Yankees Likely To Eventually Exercise Sheff's Option

Yankees Yankees Likely To Eventually Exercise Sheff's Option

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Gary Sheffield reported to spring training Tuesday and was upbeat after the Yankees said they'd likely keep him around for 2007.

Sheffield is entering the final season of a $39 million, three-year contract, and the Yankees hold a $13 million option for 2007.

"They brought me in and told me they were probably going to pick the option up," Sheffield said after meeting with general manager Brian Cashman. "You always want to earn whatever you get. I take a lot pride in that. He didn't have to bring me in today. I appreciate that. When I was a free agent, a lot of teams called and I really didn't answer. There was only one place, and that still remains the same. I don't want to play for nobody else but the Yankees."

Cashman said there is no timetable regarding a final decision. Sheffield's contract calls for the option to be exercised within five days of the end of the World Series or Nov. 5.

"He's such a great player, I'd been surprised at the end of this thing we're not doing something," Cashman said. "Let's play this thing through and see where it goes. I'm not saying we'll do anything soon. I'm not saying we're not going to do anything until the very end. I don't know yet."

Sheffield negotiated his contract personally with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who said the option matter will be Cashman's call.

"Brian is the boss of that," Steinbrenner said. "It's up to Brian. We'll see what Brian does. It's in his hands."

Sheffield, a 37-year-old outfielder, was bothered by several physical ailments last season, including a thigh injury that hampered him in September. He still hit .291 with 34 homers and 123 RBIs in 154 games.

"I'm a year at a time guy," Sheffield said. "If I have a good year, go on the next one. I want to go out on a high note."

Instead of taking a few weeks off and then resuming workouts, Sheffield spent the offseason traveling to a number of locations including France, Italy, Britain, Bermuda and Las Vegas.

"I think it was needed because at this point in my career my body needs to heal," Sheffield said. "I wasn't giving it a chance to heal. I think that's why the injuries affected me late in the season. Now I get a chance to get in shape at spring training and start off fresh."

Sheffield said he might benefit from a day off occasionally during the season. Manager Joe Torre has indicated that Sheffield and left fielder Hideki Matsui will see some action this year at DH.

Cashman talked earlier in spring training with pitcher Mike Mussina, who will complete a six-year contract after this season. Mussina has an $17 million option for 2007 with a $1.5 million buyout.

"I'm pretty sure it won't be picked up," Mussina said. "They want to see me healthy, just like me. I'm OK with that."

The 37-year-old right-hander went 13-8 with a 4.41 ERA in 30 starts last year. He missed three weeks in September because of inflammation near his elbow.

Notes

Steinbrenner has been stopping at Torre's office on an almost daily basis during spring training. The two had a strained relationship last season. "We disconnected basically," Torre said. "I'm happy to see that he's around a lot to be honest with you. It makes it easier just to have a conversion because there's not that period of time you haven't spoken where you have to cover a lot of things. He seems like he's in good spirits and excited about the prospects, and we are too." ... RHP Tanyon Sturtze (tired shoulder) is scheduled to throw off the mound for the first time Wednesday. ... Mussina, Randy Johnson, Jaret Wright, Shawn Chacon and Chien-Ming Wang threw 12 minutes each during their third bullpen sessions. ... The first full squad workout is Wednesday.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

huh?

MLB ERA
    lmao buddy edit your post

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    who you calling a Piglet foo?

Wrong paste, Thomas.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Yeah......I just noticed. I was doing two things at once. I was sending to a jr Mod on a football site.