Thread: Arod told to stop playing poker?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Arod told to stop playing poker?

Alex Rodriguez was cautioned by the New York Yankees that playing poker in illegal clubs could be dangerous and harmful to his image, according to a newspaper report.

Early last month, the Daily News reported the star slugger had attended games at an underground club with professional card player Phil Hellmuth.

When contacted by ESPN.com on Wednesday, a Yankees official said the club has never brought up the topic of attending poker games with Rodriguez. Scott Boras, the third baseman's agent, also denied that the Yankees had warned his client.

"The Yankees have never addressed or spoken with me in regard to any off-field activities regarding Alex Rodriguez. And the Yankees have never spoken to Alex regarding any of his off-field activities," Boras was quoted as saying in a story published Wednesday.

Playing at such clubs is not illegal, though it can be against the law to operate them, the Daily News reported.

Rodriguez was not punished or ordered to stay out of the clubs, but commissioner Bud Selig was monitoring the situation and could intervene if necessary, the newspaper said, citing sources it did not identify.

MLB spokesman Rich Levin declined comment to the Daily News yesterday.
    I think this is a bunch of crap myself, just like with Michael Jordan. Arod isn't doing any harm to the Yankees or to himself by doing this. I also doubt the Yankees have even said anything. Maybe MLB will make Arod retire for a year like they did Jordan

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'm sure some of the Yankee fans here would love that. Then when they didn't make the playoffs, they'd blame A-Rod.

Oh no! He's playing POKER! Even worse, ILLEGAL POKER!!! I HATE THE YANKEES NOW!!! BOOOO!!! A-ROD IS SATAN!!!

Please. Playing poker isn't exactly going to hurt his reputation.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I'm sure some of the Yankee fans here would love that. Then when they didn't make the playoffs, they'd blame A-Rod.
    Yeah b/c we always had trouble making the postseason before ARod got here Last I checked before he came here we had won 6 of 8 AL pennants before he got here and zero in his 2 years. The last time before ARod got here that we went 2 years w/o making a WS was '94 & '95 and if there had not been a strike we may have gone in '94.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    who's talking about the past? Who would play 3B if A-Rod was out for a year?

Enrique Wilson.

"Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    Yeah b/c we always had trouble making the postseason before ARod got here Last I checked before he came here we had won 6 of 8 AL pennants before he got here and zero in his 2 years. The last time before ARod got here that we went 2 years w/o making a WS was '94 & '95 and if there had not been a strike we may have gone in '94.
    Wow did you ever fall into the trap

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    *yawn* musta been a slow news day. the guy who wrote the article said it wasnt even really a talking to. just a piece of a advice. its not like MLB has any grounds to do anything.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    who's talking about the past? Who would play 3B if A-Rod was out for a year?
    I'm sure we'd find a good replacement, he wouldn't give us ARod's reg season #s but he couldn't be as bad in the postseason.