Thread: Stottlemyre backs Torre

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees Stottlemyre backs Torre

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2189283

NEW YORK -- Almost certain he's stepping down after 10 years as New York Yankees pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre had harsh words Wednesday for George Steinbrenner and the owner's treatment of manager Joe Torre.

Speaking in the Yankees clubhouse where he's spent 21 seasons as a player and coach, Stottlemyre said he interpreted Steinbrenner's statement following the Yankees' elimination by the Los Angeles Angels as a slap at Torre. Steinbrenner said Tuesday: "I congratulate the Angels and their manager on the great job they've done."

"I laughed when I saw it," Stottlemyre said. "My first thoughts were, 'What about Joe? Joe had done a hell of a job, too.' To congratulate the other manager and not congratulate your own after what he'd done this year, I laughed."

A Yankees coach since Torre took over as manager following the 1995 season, Stottlemyre criticized the schism between the team's New York and Tampa, Fla., offices and said Torre's job status shouldn't be questioned.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," he said. "I've been here with Joe for 10 years and this has by far been the toughest year for him, and it's the best job he's done. He's done a good job year in and year out -- this year the job he's done was really special because he had a lot of things to battle through."

Mel, shut your stupid mouth and leave. You suck.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Steinbrenner just wants to win. Torre has done one heck of a job, but it may be best for him to leave. Just seems like one of those situations that the best thing to do is to have everybody leave.

If only Steinbrenner learned that the Yankees would be best off with building from the farm system. Heck, Stein is getting up there in age and just wants to see another WS win before he dies.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Torre might have to leave to get away from a dumbass owner. Where were the Yankees before Torre came along? Torre did probably his best managing job in New York this year overcoming a lot of obstacles and his reward is to get fired? Makes no sense. George has done all this to himself and its too bad George isn't man enough to realize it.

AAA ERA
    George is a buffoon, he single handedly ruined our latest dynasty by going back to his 80s ways. Mel did a great job here and he's a class guy, I wish him well and he deserves to be away from someone like george. I think this might be the last straw for Joe, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lou Piniella managing this team next year.