Thread: Yankees break 4 million attendance mark

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yankees break 4 million attendance mark

Yankees become third franchise to draw 4 million

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Yankees surpassed the 4 million mark in home attendance Saturday, becoming the third major league franchise to reach the milestone.

The Yankees drew a crowd of 53,911 for a 7-4 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays, boosting their season total to 4,035,560 fans with one home game remaining. The only other teams to draw 4 million were the Blue Jays in 1992 and '93, and the Colorado Rockies in '93 -- their first season.

``It's an incredible achievement, particularly when I remember that when I bought the Yankees, we had trouble drawing 1 million to the stadium. We have the greatest fans in the world,'' owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement. ``I cheer our fans as they cheer us, day in and day out. And I thank everyone in our organization, on and off the field, for helping to reach this amazing milestone.''

On Sunday, New York will almost certainly break Toronto's AL record for attendance. The Blue Jays drew 4,057,947 fans in '93 on the way to their second consecutive World Series championship.

It says a lot about the Yankees. They have led in "road" attendance for just about the last 10 years.

Even with the price of tickets increasing, their fans are there to support them.

AAA ERA
    Today we break the AL mark and in reality the ML mark as Colorodo's #s were inflated as they played in a Stadium that held 75,000 but many were obstructed view seats they sold for a $1.