Thread: Good News on Moose

AAA ERA

Yankees Good News on Moose

He threw last night and felt no pain, he expcts to be back by next homestand. See the article below from today's Post:

MOOSE FEELING NO PAIN

By EVAN GROSSMAN

September 10, 2005 -- Encouraged by the way he felt playing catch yesterday for the first time since he was shut down, Mike Mussina felt no pain and believes he can be back on the mound pitching for the Yankees during the next homestand.
    "It doesn't hurt to throw 40 balls, so, yeah, that's a tremendous improvement," a chipper Mussina said yesterday before the start of the weekend series against the Red Sox.

"[I] threw one day and I feel all right," Mussina said. "How I feel after three days in a row, we'll see."

Mussina (12-8) last pitched Aug. 29 in a 7-4 Yankee win at Seattle, earning a no-decision after lasting only three innings. In that game, Mussina allowed four runs on six hits and walked four before he was sidelined with elbow inflammation that jeopardized the remainder of his season.

Yesterday's news, compared to the worry surrounding the injury just a week ago, was light years more positive than those worst-case scenarios.

Next weekend would be the earliest Mussina returns, but, "I doubt it would be that soon," he said.

"More like sometime next week or two weeks from today, or something. Maybe a little shorter than that, but that's a rough guess," Mussina said. "Probably some time in the middle of the next homestand."

Mussina wore a protective sleeve on his right elbow and experienced no pain, a far cry from the discomfort he felt there in the days leading up to yesterday's catch during batting practice.

"I felt it every throw. Every throw, all the time," Mussina said. "Today I did not . . . I passed the first day."

Joe Torre said Mussina will play catch through the weekend and throw a bullpen session next week in Tampa in an effort to get him back on the mound as soon as possible. All of which depends on the elbow not hurting, Mussina said.

"I could be on a mound by Tuesday," Mussina said. "Not in a game, but on a mound, if I wake up [today] and it doesn't kill me."

For now though, Mussina hopes being limited to just watching the games doesn't kill him.

"Sure, I want to be pitching. I just couldn't do what I wanted to do on a mound anymore."

Can I get a Moose-call?

"Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    No.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

This calls for another Moose picture.

AAA ERA
    Here is the latest on Moose from today's Post:

September 14, 2005 -- ST. PETERSBURG — Talking through a team spokesman before the game, Mike Mussina's words weren't as encouraging as the ones that flowed from his lips after last night's easy Yankee win over the Devil Rays.
    Following his first bullpen session since being shut down with an inflamed right elbow, Mussina didn't sound encouraged.

"It was OK," Mussina said of the 43-pitch exercise that was supervised by pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre. "It wasn't 100 percent, but it wasn't bad."

Four hours later Mussina was encouraged by how the hinge felt.

"I was a little rusty, it wasn't my best bullpen but [the elbow] is a lot better than it was," Mussina said. "If it keeps improving I don't see any problem."

Mussina, who hasn't pitched since Aug. 29, played catch Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Yankee Stadium.

AAA ERA
    From today's Post:

The immediate results of Mike Mussina's extended bullpen session yesterday were promising. The veteran hurler and the Yankees will wait and see if his right elbow hurts after being tested.

"I am encouraged," said Mussina, who pitched the equivalent of three innings, throwing 122 pitches in a Rogers Centre bullpen before last night's game.

Did somebody say moose?

I wonder who will be knocked out of the rotation.

We have a solid base with...
    RJ
    Small
    Chacon

Then we have...
    Wright
    Wang
    Moose

In the post season, I would like to see
    RJ
    Moose
    Small
    Chacon

Glad to see Moose back. Yankees need as much pitching as possible. Small came out of nowhere. What a great surprise.