Thread: Joe Girardi Not Returning as Yankees Manager

MLB ERA

Yankees Joe Girardi Not Returning as Yankees Manager

I know this is a little late but still wanted to discuss it. It has taken me a little while to get over that game 7 loss and I'm not even sure I have yet..

Anyways.. I know Leo had posted somewhere that this is a classic Yankees move and while it might be, it's tough to say whether or not this was a bad move. Obviously a lot of that is going to depend a lot on what happens with the next Yankees manager but I, just like everyone else, was shocked at this news. I think it's it's also important to think about the fact that this probably was an accumulation of things leading up to this point. It doesn't seem like Joe had a great relationship with the front office and it seems like his intensity and lack of ability to connect with players (whether true or not) ultimately led to his demise. Sure, you can point to game two of the ALDS but that was just one straw in a much larger pile.

Another interesting point to remember is how eerily similar this is to the hiring of Joe Torre in 1995. Following the '95 season the Yankees parted ways with Buck Showalter after the team was eliminated in the ALDS to the Mariners. The '95 Yankees seemed very similar to the Yankees current roster. Young, talented and ready to win. With a roster that includes, Judge, Bird, Sanchez, Didi, Severino, Gray, and many other young studs. Also add in a plethora of talented prospects at the minor league level, this team seems to have the potential to follow in the footpaths of the late '90s Yankees. See image below ---

The search for a new manager will be a very interesting one. One that I would imagine will end up with a manager that fits the mold of AJ Hinch. Young, connects with players and is very analytically savvy.

This was a bold move by the Yankees front office. Joe has a great body of work that includes not only a World Series Championship, taking this "rebuilding team" to one game away from the World Series, having to navigate rosters like the 2013-2014 Yankees and much more. Sure, at times maybe he didn't manage the bullpen perfectly, but who does? He is a superb manager and I hope the Yankees won't regret this decision. One thing is for sure, he won't have a hard time finding another job, if he chooses to.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Girardi Not Returning as Yankees Manager

multiple things on this....

1. while it might be a classic yankee move, it was time to move on from this guy. he was heavily scrutinized for every move he made, by fans and front office, and had little to no leeway anymore. he butted heads with cashman plenty of times, and allegedly it was decided before the playoffs, that even had he won the world series, he wouldnt have been brought back. and the way he totally mangled game 2 vs cleveland, would never have been forgotten about. his masterful work of the wild card game was quickly thrown out the window, because of how bad he did in game 2... we always remember the bad more than the good.

2. cashman wants a yes man and analytics guy. he wants a guy that the front office can call down to in the 7th inning and go "bring player x in". i kinda hate that, but whatever, i suppose thats the direction baseball is headed in.

3. personally, id be fine with tony pena... kind of a boring name i realize, but he knows the sport... or al pedrique, the triple a manager. all of these kids came up through him, hes a multiple time manager of the year down there, and im always down for trying new names, as opposed to the retread failures around the league that have to fail multiple times before teams give up on them. that... or...

fuck it, lets run with the arod circus. i kinda felt like, with all the youth and exuberance we had this year, we almost became a little likeable around the league. lets cut that shit off, and make the most hated man in baseball our manager.

MLB ERA

Cincinnati needs to be calling his agent TODAY!
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    multiple things on this....

1. while it might be a classic yankee move, it was time to move on from this guy. he was heavily scrutinized for every move he made, by fans and front office, and had little to no leeway anymore. he butted heads with cashman plenty of times, and allegedly it was decided before the playoffs, that even had he won the world series, he wouldnt have been brought back. and the way he totally mangled game 2 vs cleveland, would never have been forgotten about. his masterful work of the wild card game was quickly thrown out the window, because of how bad he did in game 2... we always remember the bad more than the good.

2. cashman wants a yes man and analytics guy. he wants a guy that the front office can call down to in the 7th inning and go "bring player x in". i kinda hate that, but whatever, i suppose thats the direction baseball is headed in.

3. personally, id be fine with tony pena... kind of a boring name i realize, but he knows the sport... or al pedrique, the triple a manager. all of these kids came up through him, hes a multiple time manager of the year down there, and im always down for trying new names, as opposed to the retread failures around the league that have to fail multiple times before teams give up on them. that... or...

fuck it, lets run with the arod circus. i kinda felt like, with all the youth and exuberance we had this year, we almost became a little likeable around the league. lets cut that shit off, and make the most hated man in baseball our manager.
    Well said. Not sure how I would feel about A-rod being considered for the job but you're damn right, these young Yankees would no longer be the "likable" Yankees.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM