Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yanks-Rangers series thread

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    We're down 4-1 earl;y, a bad E by Jeter allowed 2 runs in the 1st. There's still time, this is going to be a long game.

Anyway, I'll be away for a couple of weeks so hopefully when I'm back the Yanks will be w/in striking distance of the Sox and WC.
    I'm back and we are w/in striking distance of the Sox and tied for the WC, maybe I'm bad luck and should goa way more often

ERA
    Call NASA
    You and/or no one or thing brings bad or good luck. Winning and losing is determined on the field. Stay and enjoy the stretch run.

The only bad luck is the way they have played that they created.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    I'm back and we are w/in striking distance of the Sox and tied for the WC, maybe I'm bad luck and should goa way more often

AAA ERA
    You gusy are a little touchy today, it was a joke so relax

ERA
    Call NASA
    The only result that counts is the finish line.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    You and/or no one or thing brings bad or good luck. Winning and losing is determined on the field. Stay and enjoy the stretch run.
    If you think that there is no luck involved in baseball you obviously never played. I tend to believe it evens out over the long haul of a season. But sometimes you can do everything right in a situation and still come up empty. That's baseball!

ERA
    Call NASA
    If you do everything right, you never come up empty. 'Right' is a very subjective term when you are talking of winning or losing a ballgame. If you win, it is right, if you lose, it is wrong.

AAA ERA
    You're totally clueless. Hindsight is always 20-20 for you, you coward.

I have a perfect example that we always tell our ball players (I coach High School ball in upstate NY). It a harsh lesson to learn that obviousloy no one ever taught you Joe.

ERA
    Call NASA
    If that is what you wish and dream to think. I guess you have lost yet another debate, when you must resort to name calling. My condolences to the kids you coach. They are unlucky.

AAA ERA
    I guess you asked for it.
    If you do everything right, you never come up empty.
    The Yanks were playing in Washington in 1963. Its 0-0 in the top of the eighth in game 2 of a double header and the Yanks who dropped Game one are Hell bent on winning the night cap. Then the Yankees scored, and here's how it looked from the bleachers (and how it looked to JoeK on his high horse).

Tony Kubek singles, then breaks for second on the next pitch and continues to third when the cathcher's throw sails into center. No sooner than Washington pulls its infield up to cut down the go-ahead run, Bobby Richardson pokes a single to drive in Kubek and the Yankes go on to win.

Here's what actually happend that inning on the field and in the dugouts where Joe will never be (phisically or relavently). After the last out in the seventh, while the teams were changing sides, Yankee manager Ralph Houk spoke to both Kubek and Richardson quickly. "If Tony gets on, Bobby, you hit-and-run first pitch. I'm not even going to give you a signal, just do it." Houk's intention was to make damn sure no one missed a sign, and no one in the Washington dugout stole a sign or got tipped off. So the stage was set expect for one thing: Ralph never told his third base coach, Frank Corsetti, what was going on.

So theres Tony on first after his single. No one out, no score, top 8. Then came Richardson, a surgeon with the bat, and Washington knew of the possibility of a hit and run. Then only question was, 'Which pitch?' As Bobby approached the batter's Corsetti looked to Houk for the sign. It had to be there! Either going to be hit-and-run or take. No sign. As Bobby is digging in, still no sign!

Figuring nothing was on Corsetti decides to swerve the Senators, and starts flailing wildly with decoy signs to his batter and baserunner. Washington's catcher, Jim Retzer, saw Corsetti flashing signs down there and thought 'Hit-and-run!' and called for a pitch out.

As the pitch came in, Retezer jumped out of his stance as Tony Kubek stumbled out of his lead from first on his way to second. Richardson flung his bat at the ball which was two feet wide of home. Retzer recieved the pitch, and fired a strike to second, Tony was caught dead to rights! But the Senator secondbasemen and shortstop had gotten their own signals mixed up, and with no one covering second, the ball flew in to center untouched.

Kubek, who stumbled a bit leaving first, was not in a slide as he came to second so he easily rounded and went on to third.

Retzer, who was the goat of the game, was the only one in the park wearing a Washington uniform that knew something was up. He made the right read, he made the right call, made a perfect throw, but that throw lost the game for the Senators.

And if you say that Retzer made that wrong move then:
    A) You never played, coached or managed an actual baseball team with actualy players.
    B) You're a coward for saying its the wrong move after the fact (that's what liberals do) and
    C) You can eat your crow now.

"Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

ERA
    Call NASA
    It is in the eye of the beholder and not in the wish and dream of your mind. Houk made a brilliant decision, caught the Washington infield off guard, and won the game, which is the goal of the team. In defense of Retzer, he did nothing wrong, his team mates did. That's why 25 guys win or lose. Not 1 or 2.

I see the general is padding his post count again.

AAA ERA
    If you do everything right, you never come up empty. 'Right' is a very subjective term when you are talking of winning or losing a ballgame. If you win, it is right, if you lose, it is wrong.
    Great then you were wrong. Thank you for graciously admitting that.

And General's post made a hell of a lot more sense than most of yours.

AAA ERA
    In defense of Retzer, he did nothing wrong, his team mates did. That's why 25 guys win or lose. Not 1 or 2.
    You're completely right. So there's no sensical way to evealuate and individual based on team performance/achievement. Any disagreement, and you're talking out of both sides of your face.

Yes, I'm post padding. You got me there, Joke. Arrest me, I'm guilty as charged.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast