Thread: Jeter decision on hold

MLB ERA

Jeter decision on hold

Brian Cashman will wait until Joe Torre talks to Derek Jeter today before knowing if the Yankee captain will start tonight against the Orioles at the Stadium.

"I don't know," the GM said yesterday, an off-day for the club. "Joe will take his temperature and see how he is doing."

Knowing Jeter's distaste for sitting out games, he will tell Torre he is fine. Unless the ringing in his ears and the wooziness caused by being hit in the head by Boston right-hander Mike Timlin Wednesday hasn't subsided.

Jeter stayed in the game to run the bases but didn't go to short for the ninth inning, replaced by Rey Sanchez. He showered and went to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital for a CT-Scan that didn't show any abnormal activity in Jeter's head.

Jeter was one of five Yankees hit by Red Sox pitching in the season-opening three-game series. Jason Giambi was hit twice by David Wells and once by John Halama. Jeter was drilled twice. Matt Clement got him on the left hand Tuesday and Timlin's fastball collided with Jeter's batting helmet.

No Red Sox batter was hit by a Yankee pitcher in the three games.

According to Cashman, there is nothing new on Kevin Brown's balky back.

"We are still shooting for April 17," Cashman said of the first day Brown is eligible to come off the DL.

Brown had an MRI Wednesday and the Yankees were encouraged that it didn't differ from the last one taken. He has been complaining of back and hip problems.

You would never know it, but there are other Yankees off to slow starts after three games other than Mariano Rivera. Bernie Williams will be searching for his first 2005 hit tonight against the Orioles' Sidney Ponson. Williams is 0-for-8 with three strikeouts. He has drawn a team-high four walks, however.

After looking good in spring training, Giambi starts tonight hitting .143 (1-for-7) with three punch outs. Tino Martinez is 1-for-8 (.125) with the lone hit a homer. Gary Sheffield is at .182 (2-for-11) but has driven in three runs.

Jaret Wright faces Ponson tonight when the Orioles open a three-game visit to Yankee Stadium. Randy Johnson makes his second Yankee start versus LHP Bruce Chen. Carl Pavano draws RHP Rodrigo Lopez on Sunday.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/44105.htm
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    That makes me feel alot better! I was so scared when Jeter got beaned. Freaking I can't believe not one Red Sox got hit in those three games, and the Yankees got hit 5 times. DANG!
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Sox did it on purpose. One of these threads you'll find me complaining about Wells hitting Giambi twice in the head. What can I say? The Sox just Sux.

I am glad he is fine but it makes me mad that it happened. I hope Jeter stays in his groove. I think it is critical for him to come out of the shoot and put up some good numbers early. Jeter is catalyst for many rallies as well as with the key hits in key situations.

Others to keep any eye on are:
    ARod
    Matsuii
    Giambi

Obviously we want everyone to do great but my list has it's reasons to be recognized.