Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Regular Season Yankee Ramblings

MLB ERA

Yankees 2011 Regular Season Yankee Ramblings

A-rod was scratched from tonights lineup.. Has the flu. Hopefully he gets feeling better soon.

MLB ERA

Re: 2011 Regular Season Yankee Ramblings

Some news on Prior..
    Mark Prior has pitched on consecutive days for the first time as he tries to convert to relief and make it back to the big leagues for the first time since 2006.

The right-hander threw a scoreless inning Sunday for Class A Tampa against Lakeland, walking one during his 20-pitch outing. On Saturday, Prior recorded a strikeout in a scoreless inning against Detroit's Class A team.

Prior's fastball reached 91 mph in both games and averaged around 90, the AP noted. Prior has said that he is willing to prove his health at the Minor League level and could be promoted to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre later in the year. Prior can opt out of his Minor League contract in late June.

MLB ERA

"A cortisone shot to Phil Hughes' right shoulder has done wonders for the pitcher's head.

General manager Brian Cashman said yesterday that Hughes took a spike of cortisone on April 28 to combat inflammation in the shoulder. That was two weeks after Hughes' last start and 13 days after he was placed on the disabled list with a "dead arm."

Hughes was looked at by Dr. Robert William Thompson Monday in St. Louis, and thoracic outlet syndrome that causes circulation problems was ruled out. Hughes returned to New York and met with Yankees team doctor Chris Ahmad yesterday.

According to Cashman, Hughes will rest for two weeks and then begin a throwing program. Cashman estimated it would take "six to eight weeks" to get Hughes back on the mound if there are no further setbacks.

"He feels significantly better," Cashman said of Hughes, whose spot in the rotation has been taken by Bartolo Colon. "He claims since the cortisone injection he feels 110 percent better."

Because Hughes never complained of pain in the shoulder area, Cashman couldn't explain why Hughes feels much improved now. Nevertheless, he strongly indicated that not having TOS and the shoulder feeling good after the shot played a part in Hughes positive feelings.
    Hughes looking to get back in about 6-8 weeks. Sounds like he is doing better..

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

When is Girardi going to grow a sack and drop Jeter to 9th?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

when posada gets above 200

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    When is Girardi going to grow a sack and drop Jeter to 9th?
    I tweeted at Olney yesterday because he's been saying the same thing.

You want to endorse sabermetrics and statistics throughout to make your argument, fine. But realize that batting leadoff for the Yankees is a ton of pressure, at home and away.

Gardner seems like a natural fit with all the pitches he sees per at bat and his speed, but he floundered at the top to start the season. Do we really think it was because he needed to move up in the batters box? Perhaps; it gives him less time to think about outside pitches, which has been the difference for him. But it's also conceivable that he could have been pressing in the top spot.

As far as Granderson, his splits with Detroit identify him as a better candidate...but his combination of power, speed and contact is better suited for later in the lineup, when there is a better chance to hit with runners on base.

Who else is an option? Swisher can't make enough contact to hit leadoff, although he carries a high OBP; ARod, Teix, and Cano are cemented in those spots, and Martin/Posada are laughable suggestions.

Jeter really is the best fit on the team for the spot; he can handle the pressure, he sets the table well to start the game consistently, and from that point on, you can just think of him as the #9 hitter anyway.

Seriously! Jeter had 3 hits in the 1st inning in his past 3 starts. He's got 8 hits in 16 game starting at-bats with two walks (.500/.556/.563). He's 13/47 with 3 walks to leadoff any inning (.351/.400/.378), and he has hit .278 in the leadoff position this year (compared with .194 in the 2 spot).

Now you can probably argue those too, based off of sample size and validity, but the fact is that most of your opinion is based off of a combination of sabermetric statistics evaluating the player against others, and articles by people who slant against Jeter (Neyer/Olney/Kurkjian/etc.). I'm not saying that you're wrong, but based off of the accrued data and the layout of our team, I disagree with the assertion that Jeter is not a worthy leadoff hitter for the Yankees.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It has nothing to do with sabermetrics, its common sense. Jeter is batting .250/.308/.269 with one of the worst ground ball rates in baseball. You cannot have that from your leadoff spot and expect to be successful. The pressure argument is pure bullshit. You can either hit or you can't and right now, Jeter isn't doing anything to merit him at the top of any lineup in any city. The leadoff man gets more ABs than any other hitter. You honestly want someone doing that poorly getting the majority of the ABs? I sure as hell don't! Send him down in the lineup to shake things up and if he responds then move him back but til then, he has no business batting leadoff.

MLB ERA

It has nothing to do with sabermetrics, its common sense. Jeter is batting .250/.308/.269 with one of the worst ground ball rates in baseball. You cannot have that from your leadoff spot and expect to be successful. The pressure argument is pure bullshit. You can either hit or you can't and right now, Jeter isn't doing anything to merit him at the top of any lineup in any city. The leadoff man gets more ABs than any other hitter. You honestly want someone doing that poorly getting the majority of the ABs? I sure as hell don't! Send him down in the lineup to shake things up and if he responds then move him back but til then, he has no business batting leadoff.
    Hey, whenever you want to start chomping on your crow, be my guest.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Hey, whenever you want to start chomping on your crow, be my guest.
    It will take more than one big game for me to do that. It is good to see him finally make an adjustment though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

sorry dry, you forgot the all important rule... reefer's opinion is ultimately gospel, and any opinion to the contrary is blasphemy.

MLB ERA

It will take more than one big game for me to do that. It is good to see him finally make an adjustment though.
    Hey, as long as he's having multi-hit games and in the midst of a 7 game hitting streak, I'll be fine if you don't think he's doing well.

We're still winning games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    sorry dry, you forgot the all important rule... reefer's opinion is ultimately gospel, and any opinion to the contrary is blasphemy.
    I remember.

JEFF KENT

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Hey, as long as he's having multi-hit games and in the midst of a 7 game hitting streak, I'll be fine if you don't think he's doing well.

We're still winning games.

I remember.

JEFF KENT
    You're 6-4 over your last 10. Congrats! I'm glad he made an adjustment finally.

Can't believe you still think Jeff Kent won't be in the HOF!! I'll buy your ticket to Cooperstown on his induction day so we can share it together.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I always admit when I'm wrong!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jeter is 3 for his last 23. See why I don't blow my wad over a good week?

AAA ERA

This team is pretty bad right now but it is a long season. I'm not worried YET.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast