Thread: Garcia or Colon?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Garcia or Colon?

Despite the fact that Bartolo Colon is pitching much better than Freddy Garcia this spring, Yankees manager Joe Girardi hinted that Garcia is better suited to be the team's fifth starter.
    Regarding Colon not pitching since 2009, Girardi said, "That's somewhat of a concern when you have a guy coming off injury who hasn't thrown a lot in the last two years. You have to project in your mind how many innings you feel they can give you." Garcia worked 157 innings last year and could be the more durable of the two competitors. The team will make a final announcement in the next few days.
    Ivan Nova has locked up the other spot so it all comes down to Colon or Garcia. I have no doubt with the way Colon pitched this winter and spring that a team will take a chance on him. Maybe even a return to the Indians? I would lean toward Garcia too but neither are a great option. Yankees definitely have problems this year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Garcia or Colon?

Freddy Garcia has been told he's the Yankees' No. 5 starter.
    Even though he's been out-pitched by Bartolo Colon this spring, the Yankees feel Colon is better equipped to handle a starter's workload than Colon, who will pitch out of the bullpen. In all likelihood, we're still likely to see Colon starting some games at some point. Ivan Nova will be the Yankees' No. 4 starter.
    I'm surprised Colon hasn't asked to be released or maybe he just hasn't had enough time. Seems like the Yankees did make the right move here.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I'm surprised Colon hasn't asked to be released or maybe he just hasn't had enough time. Seems like the Yankees did make the right move here.
    I think that is part of the reason Garcia got the #5, he said he wouldn't go to the minors or the pen so it allowed them to keep both guys.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Garcia or Colon? BOTH GUYS. Colon was crazy good tonight. 95-96 mph on the gun? Holy heck.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah Colon was impressive in his last start too but not hitting 95 on the gun.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He threw almost exclusively a fastball too. Oooooh, Boston, how do you like that.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.