Thread: Advantage Yankees?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Advantage Yankees?

A source tells Craig Calcaterra of NBCSports.com that Cliff Lee was "not terribly happy in Texas" and is concerned about how his body would hold up pitching in the Texas heat.
    Lee is a great pitcher no matter the venue, but he is 32 years old and dealt with a back problem during the second half of the season. July and August in New York aren't exactly a treat, either, but if this is a legitimate concern, it could give the Yankees an advantage should he receive similar offers.
    I really don't see what the heat has to do with his back problems. Its usually colder climates that make the muscles stiff and cause problems. I can see the heat dehydrating you and causing cramps but how often do you see that happen with MLB players? Cashman personally went to Lee's Arkansas home yesterday to give his pitch. I assume HOFer Nolan Ryan will be doing the same very soon.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Re: Advantage Yankees?

Cliff Lee is a professional ball player where I doubt the last thing on his mind is the heat. Whatever team he lands on he will give his 110% to help that team win. Whether it be the heat in July & August in Texas or the possibility of cold weather in early April in New York or down the stretch in October that will not be a factor in who Lee chooses to play for in 2011. Lee regardless is going to get a huge payday which is deserved for this guy who has been shipped around the past few years. It is time for this guy to be locked up for several years and focus on the end of his career and his career and his families well being.

MLB ERA

Re: Advantage Yankees?

I agree, the weather would likely be no better for him outdoors in NY in March and October. I still think Lee ends up in NY, but I call BS on the fact that the weather is his real reason. The real reason will likely be simple. $$$