Thread: Greenwich Village Idiot?

MLB ERA

Greenwich Village Idiot?

It surely would not be viewed as tampering in Bud Selig's tolerant kingdom, but Johnny Damon received high praise from George Steinbrenner yesterday through a most unlikely intermediary.

The 2005 season still has 161 games plus an October to go, and next winter has already become interesting.

"So I'm sitting there with George Steinbrenner in his box [Sunday] night," Regis Philbin said yesterday to Damon on his morning television show. "You come up to bat. I said, 'George, this guy is a great centerfielder.' George loves you. He says, yes, you really are."

Off camera, Philbin stressed further to the Red Sox centerfielder how highly The Boss spoke of him during the Yankees' 9-2 victory Sunday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Conveniently enough for both Damon and Steinbrenner, Damon - who used yesterday's day off to thoroughly promote his new book, "Idiot" - is in the last year of his contract with Boston. The same goes for Yankees centerfielder Bernie Williams, who, though a favorite with fans and the organization, is clearly on the downside of his career at age 36.

At a book signing in midtown Manhattan yesterday, Damon, 31, played along with the possibility of pulling a Benedict Arnold on New England. "You know, Regis spends time with The Boss," Damon said, "so you know it's got to be somewhat true."

Damon has been vocal about his desire to remain with the Red Sox, however, and he half-jokingly agreed that Philbin's secondhand endorsement could help him attain that goal.

"We had some Red Sox personnel in the [studio] today," he said. "I'm sure they got on the phone with [Red Sox principal owner] John Henry right away."

The Yankees could have a real chance at signing Damon, though, if they want to do so. Damon signed a four-year, $32-million deal with the Red Sox under their previous regime, when the Jean Yawkey Trust (headed by John Harrington) owned the club. In significantly remaking the team last winter, the Red Sox proved they won't let sentiment factor into their decisions.

And Damon has not been regarded as irreplaceable by Henry's group. Last summer, the Red Sox attempted to acquire Carlos Beltran from Kansas City, and last offseason, Boston tried to trade Manny Ramirez to the Mets to clear salary room for free agent Beltran. Had either plan worked out, Damon would have been traded or, at the least, moved out of centerfield.

Philbin's co-host, Kelly Ripa, asked Damon if he would cut his notoriously long hair to meet Steinbrenner's grooming code. Damon replied, "You know, these long locks treated us well last year with the Red Sox." But surely, he would get out the scissors for the right price.

Damon proved yesterday that he already has a significant following in New York. Hundreds of people purchased his autobiography at Barnes & Noble, with the line for his autograph going down 48th Street, from Fifth Avenue all the way to Sixth.

"It's nuts," Damon said. "I heard the line outside is pretty long. There are a lot of Johnny Damon fans here. Mostly Boston fans. Hopefully, a lot of people around here like me."

For a signing scheduled to begin at 1 o'clock, (Damon was 20 minutes late), George Ruiz arrived at 7 a.m., putting him first in line. A lifelong Red Sox fan from Rome, N.Y., Ruiz offered Damon a picture of his son, who was born last Oct. 3, the final day of the 2004 regular season. On the eve of the magic.

"It'll bring them good luck again, make it a dynasty," Ruiz said.

One 11-year-old girl, Casey Moran, was crying and speechless after meeting with her favorite player.

"Sometimes you do that to fans," Damon said. "You know she's real passionate about the Red Sox, and perhaps me as a player."

A 23-year-old dancer-actress, Jenni Hanson, wore a T-shirt reading, "Damon is My Homeboy," getting the centerfielder's attention.

Another man thanked Damon for his two-home run performance in last year's ALCS Game 7 at Yankee Stadium, saying, "That was the best subway ride home I ever had."

Damon handled his admirers deftly, asking them how their day was going and apologizing to those who waited a long time. He posed for pictures and thanked people for coming.

"I have a decent following here in New York City," Damon said. "It's kind of like if [Derek] Jeter had something go on in Boston, people would show up. I think people have all the respect in the world for Jeter, and I think people have a lot of respect for me here in New York."

Including, for his purposes, the most important person in New York.http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...-yankees-print
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Damon a Yankee? What, no way in the world I think he could be a Yankee ever. If he did to the Bronx I don't know what I would feel like. Should I respect him or what? I mean I hate Damon almost as much as I hate Manny and the whole Red Sox team. But who would we trade for that long haired CF? There is no way I would want them to give up anyone in that starting rotation and lineup for Johny Damon, espically Jeter. Pheww, I just looked it up and he is a free agent after this year so we might not have to trade anyone.
    Last edited by BuckFoston; 04-05-2005 at 11:27 PM.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

It makes sense. The Yankees need a new CF (Bernie's declining hard), he is a FA after the season, I doubt the Sox bring him back. It falls into place.

MLB ERA
    True I mean I wouldn't mind seeing him there. But it would be sorta weird seeing Damon is pinstripes don't you think? Here is a link to another article about this topic.Regis:Boss loves Damon

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Anythingis possible but Damon would have to learn about hygiene and professionalism.

Not sure about the professionalism part. Hygiene? Have you met Damon? Does he smell bad? If your talking about the shaving part, he did shave. But shaved or not....doesn't take away if he is a good baseball player or if he's not a good baseball player. Hygiene should not matter.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I wouldn't mind having Damon at all...I like the guy a lot even though he's on the Red Sox. He would be a nice leadoff hitter with some power and could enable us to finally put Jeter back in the #2 spot. Wouldn't be concerned about the throwing arm...we've survived with Bernie all these years.