Thread: Think they'll try to get one more outfielder?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Forecast Think they'll try to get one more outfielder?

It's no knock on Nick Swisher but you all know that he's well above his norm on average and slugging and Damon continues to contribute but the rest of the bunch.. Matsui is relegated to DH/pinch hitter, Gardner has an OPS under .600, and Melky is Melky (you really never know what you'll get from him). So will they make a play for an impact bat out there, despite what they did this offseason? With the economy the way it is, you just have that feeling a lot of interesting players will become available in the near future.

Maybe this won't even really be an issue when ARod returns and adds to the offense. But don't you think the yankees just aren't going to sit on the current state since Nady and Matsui are hurt?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Think they'll try to get one more outfielder?

I just had a whole thing typed up and deleted it but I'll sum it up. I don't think the Yankees need to go after a big bat but a guy like Matt Murton would do the trick. Murton's currently with Colorado's AAA team and probably wouldn't cost too much other than a bit of minor league pitching depth. He's got a career .288/.354/.438 line and while he struggled last season, he's still only 27 years old. I think a guy like Murton would definitely be worth a flier as a 4th or 5th OF.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I do not get Murton being in AAA at all. You would think one of the bottom feeder teams would see this and see the kind of bat they could be getting for a song and a dance. I've talked with a few of my friends, fellow Reds fans, about acquiring the former Cub. Don't get me wrong, he struggled BIG time last season, but that was only 70 AB's. He could be a really nice (and cheap) 4th OF for a club.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jim Edmonds is out there like I mentioned in the Red Sox forum. He has been working out and could be ready in a couple of weeks. Then there's always Mike Cameron.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Edmonds actually posted better post ASG numbers last year. It was over lesser AB's and he didn't hit for average, but he slugged the snot out of the ball (19 XBH in only 116 ABs.) I don't know if he is the right for the Yankees, but some team should give him a look.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Edmonds is a veteran who can handle the likes of NY and a better option in the OF than Swisher and Damon. Plus he could benefit from that new Yankees Stadium much like he did in Wrigley last year. Just a thought on a guy the Yankees would have to waste minor league talent trading for. Only bad thing is he is left handed.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wasn't saying he would be a poor fit, I am just not familar enough with the Yankees right now to know what kind of an option they would need. But you are right, with that park and the slugging Edmonds did last year, it seems like a pretty darn good fit.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Yankees should focus on improving their middle relief first. Outfield doesn't really seem like such an important issue for them. Get some bullpen help!

MLB ERA

So, is this the best team money can buy?