Thread: Opening Day 2009

Yankees Opening Day 2009

I just wanted to write a little blurb about my experience today at the new Yankee Stadium. I will provide pictures and maybe a video clip at a future date.

My friend and I got to Yankee Stadium around 955AM this morning and there were a ton of people already there. It was pretty awesome to see all of the excitement among the crowd, you could really tell that today was something special. At 1000AM they opened up the gates and my friend and I went to our seats which were located in the second deck (Main Level 233A) right by the foul pole in the 4th row.

After locating our seats, we took a stroll around the park. There were tons and tons of food places with a variety of food (deli, sushi, pizza, burgers, chicken tenders, etc). The line for monument park was enormous (an hour wait I think) so we chose not to wait for that (I had been there in the old stadium). They have pictures all around the stadium with past Yankee moments on them. Additionally, we went into the Steiner Sports Memorabilia store and there was some pretty pricey and amazing stuff. Notes from Joe DiMaggio's diary, a base from the 2000 WS, tons of autographs, etc.

Some of the aspects of this park that make it unique from the last one include the fact that the bleachers are part of the stadium and that you can see the game while getting food. There is also a beer of the world stand that has a ton of different kind of beers to choose from.

A fun little fact - Both stadiums face the same way.

If anyone has any questions that I did not answer in this rambling that I do not plan on rereading ask away and I might be able to answer.

P.S. The jumbotron is pretty sweet.

AAA ERA

Re: Opening Day 2009

I was at the first game against the Cubs. I liked it but didn't love it, it will take time to adjust. It just didn't feel like home. The new video board is amazing but at the same time it almost overpowers the rest of the Stadium- it's kind of too big.

I didn't get to Monument Park but I did get to the Museum which was a HUGE disappointment. They had photos of all the Championship teams which was nice, a million signed baseballs, seats from each Stadium, Thurman's locker and a replica of a current locker to take pictures in. It literally could take about 30 secs to walk through. There just wasn't much there.

I love the open concourses so you can watch the game if you are going to get food or walking around.

I hate the new color of the seats and wall, it doesn't look right.

I was and still am attached to the old building so I know that plays a role in my feelings about the new one. I went to Citi Field the next day and I realized just how great New Yankee Stadium is(not that Citi is bad, it is also great but nothing like YS). It will take a while to get used to it and for it to feel like home.