Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Acquire Swisher

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Yankees Acquire Swisher

The New York Yankees have acquired center fielder-first baseman Nick Swisher in a trade with the Chicago White Sox, baseball sources tell ESPN.com.

Minor league pitcher Jeff Marquez is headed to Chicago in the deal, the sources said. It's uncertain if any other players are involved.

Swisher, 27, hit .219 with 24 home runs in 153 games with Chicago this season.
    What in the hell does this do for the Yankees? I do not understand this at all. Is this their answer at first base? Who's on the move? Too many question marks and this makes no sense. Off to a bad start!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Yankees Acquire Swisher

Here's more on it:
    The Yankees have acquired Nick Swisher from the White Sox, ESPN.com reports.
    ESPN says the White Sox will get Jeff Marquez in the deal, but that it's unclear whether any other players are involved. The White Sox bought high on Swisher a year ago, sending Gio Gonzalez, Ryan Sweeney and Fautino De Los Santos to Oakland for him. In getting rid of him now, they're definitely selling low. It's not likely he's particularly expensive at $22 million for the next three years (or $31 million for four years).

MLB ERA

This deal makes NO sense. I mean, they don't need an OF, and they definitely don't need a 1B who's gonna hit .240 and 20 HR....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the White Sox will receive two minor leaguers and one big-league reserve from the Yankees for Nick Swisher and Kanekoa Texeira.
    If ESPN is correct, Jeff Marquez is one of the minor leaguers. We're guessing the major league reserve in Wilson Betemit. Hopefully for the White Sox, the other prospect is better than Marquez, who is shaping up as nothing more than a middle reliever. But this could be a great deal for the Yankees regardless.
    Texeira is a 22 yr old reliever who has a 2.24 ERA in three minor league seasons. So I guess the Yankees did get something worth a damn after all. I don't see how the author can say this is a great deal.

MLB ERA

Swisher right now is the Yankees best option in center or at first base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And that is sad

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    What in the hell does this do for the Yankees? I do not understand this at all. Is this their answer at first base? Who's on the move?
    Why does anyone need to be on the move? Didn't they buy out Jason Giambi?

MLB ERA

Great. A Teixiera and a Texiera in the majors?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

OK, if this is the Yankees answer at first base, they just downgraded. I can;t honestly think Cashman can be this dumb. Swisher had the worst BA of any player with 500 ABs. That's what makes me think one of the many OFers is on the move.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    OK, if this is the Yankees answer at first base, they just downgraded.
    How did they downgrade? They went from Giambi to Swisher. Swisher is less expensive and does pretty much the same thing, plus he can play the outfield. If anything, I think they upgraded slightly going from Giambi to Swisher.

MLB ERA

The problem is that this leaves Matsui, Swisher, Gardner, Melky, Nady, Posada, Damon to fight for 3 OF spots, DH, and 1B. 7 guys for 5 spots....and I don't think those guys wanna sit on the bench.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    How did they downgrade? They went from Giambi to Swisher. Swisher is less expensive and does pretty much the same thing, plus he can play the outfield. If anything, I think they upgraded slightly going from Giambi to Swisher.
    No way. Giambi has a higher average, gets on base more, and hits more HR. In what way is Swisher going to give them a .400 OBP or 35 HR?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Giambi has more power and better at getting on base. Swisher has flexibility and youth. Its a push now that I look at it again but last I checked, that's not a good thing. Now they have Swisher for three more years and no real position.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    The problem is that this leaves Matsui, Swisher, Gardner, Melky, Nady, Posada, Damon to fight for 3 OF spots, DH, and 1B. 7 guys for 5 spots....and I don't think those guys wanna sit on the bench.
    What exactly is going to happen at C?

The only reason Jorge didn't catch regularly this year is because he was hurt.

I'll believe he's not catching 3/5 when I see it.

With Swisher on the team, it might mean either Abreu doesn't come back or that we aren't splurging on Manny or Teix.

He's an affordable 1B option. Oh, and LTR, he's coming off his worst OPS year and he averages 20 HR...his walks are pretty ****ing awesome but his Ks are terrible off of this year.

If he can get back to form he's essentially Jason Giambi. For like 14 million cheaper.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Oh and Dry, I am well aware that was his worst year which happened to come while playing in a hitter's paradise. What does that have to do with anything? So he's declining already? Is that your point? I don't need the obvious pointed out to me like that. Yeah, he is a cheaper version of Giambi. Last I checked, Yankees weren't winning with Giambi. Cashman has got to do better , not Manny, and is now praying Sabathia will accept their offer. If it was money they were worried about, there were a lot better all around players out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast