Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Streaking

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    So you're judging all Yankees fans by your sister? Wow, dude, you're a freaking dumbass.
    Heh, assuming. What are the majority of bandwagon Yankee fans? The youth and the young adults. What years do they hop the bandwagon? The good times. The dynasty. They don't know jack about what the franchise went through in the 1980's before Stenie came around, and heck, I'm sure most of these people don't even have a clue to who the manager was before Joe Torre. I'm sure all these "true" fans I see in their pinstripe uniforms packing Network Associates Coliseum all don't fly in from New York either. What's so easy to understand is like addition and subtraction. 26 championships, superstar studded players, and a huge budget. Then of course when the Yankees lose, which they're doing right now, people lose interest so suddenly. Luckily, I knew better residing in the Bay Area, and knowing what team to root for immediately without destroying my head with their nonsense.

Dude, I've been around since 1993. Yeah, 1993. The year when they went 88-74. The year that Buck Showalter managed the Yanks. The year when Boggs-Kelly-Mattingly was the 5-4-3. Now, I understand where you're coming from; I hate those bandwagon fans too. And I know that 85% of so-called "Yankee" fans are bandwagoners. But that doesn't mean that all of us are bandwagoners. So please, don't assault us.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    Dude, I've been around since 1993. Yeah, 1993. The year when they went 88-74. The year that Buck Showalter managed the Yanks. The year when Boggs-Kelly-Mattingly was the 5-4-3. Now, I understand where you're coming from; I hate those bandwagon fans too. And I know that 85% of so-called "Yankee" fans are bandwagoners. But that doesn't mean that all of us are bandwagoners. So please, don't assault us.
    Oh I know there's true Yankee fans out there residing in New York and has seen the best and absolutely the worst of days. I respect those the most because they can actually talk to you with such unbiased behavior and tell you straight up the pros and cons concerning the team year after year. Fellas like JT The Brick, one of my local sports talk radio shows in my regional area. But with these bandwagoners that try and come out with their fresh factory made NY caps on their heads, with fans residing in the Bay Area for years with Yankee merchandise and think that oh my team is so inferior blah blah blah when all they've seen is the good times, that really ticks me off.

Most are becoming Red s0x fans now, by the way. And the only Yankee memorabillia I have is a Roger Clemens autographed picture, and a bunch of newspapers. I'll scan them in, for your entertainment.

My favorite:

The autographed picture of Clemens

Roger wins number 300..from the Daily News:

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    This conversation brings to mind another question: Why is nobody b!tching about the Red Sox buying a championship?
    Fair question. Other teams have done it too like the Diamondbacks and the 1997 Marlins. Steinbrenner is also not the only one to cause the salary structure to get so totally out of control. The White Sox did it by signing Belle to what was then an exorbitant contract and there was Texas and A-Rod to identify a really ridiculous contract - to identify two examples. The thing with the Yankees is that they have been consistent offenders. Many fans, perhaps for some because of their team's market, believe that an important element of baseball is the way talent is home grown, trades are based on ability to evaluate talent and shrewdness and then perhaps augmenting the team with a few veteran free agents. My own opinion is that many of us view the Yankee success as having sufficient money to build teams by obtaining talented veterans by free agency and in trades where teams don't have the ability money wise to retain their stars. In effect many of the small and middle market size teams serve as a Yankee farm system. What makes things much worse is that if the small or middle market size teams make a mistake in signing a high priced free agent then the consequences are dramatic. If the Yankees make a mistake then they just sign some more high priced free agents. Even in retaining one's own stars there are consequences for most teams if the decision turns out to be a bad one. If the Yankees make a mistake they just go out and buy a player.

And I guess that is pretty much what I mean about the Yankees buying championships. If the Yankees make mistakes, unlike most teams, the Yankees can consistently buy their way out of their mistakes.

Is this simplistic? Yes, somewhat but I believe most non-Yankee fans would agree I was on the right track. Many I think have a problem with championships going to the highest bidder, whoever it might be.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Let's see. You were born in March of 1989 which made you four years old in 1993. Would you please explain to us all how you managed to come to an informed decision to be a Yankees fan at such a tender age?

I read up when I got older. What's wrong with knowing some history?

I started watchin them, doesn't mean I remember them. When did you start watching the Giants? Did you remember who was their 2B that season?

Besides, I'm a Braves fan, first and foremost. They don't show too many baseball games in Ukraine, but when they do, it usually involves Chicago, NY, Boston or a very very good team, such as the Braves.

By the way, still bitter over 1995?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I read up when I got older. What's wrong with knowing some history?
    Nothing at all but your post clearly implies you have been a fan since 1993 otherwise why mention 1993? You are not suggesting, for example, that your knowledge of baseball history goes back only to 1993, are you?

I've been watching since 1993 if that's what you're saying.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast