Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaking

AAA ERA
    What was the point of that post? We know the Yankees stink. That's not news. You just pointed out everything we already know about this team. It's frustrating. I'd be happy as a pig in shit if I was a hater too.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    Spoken like someone who knows they have nothing in this argumetn as you ignored my post. I did admit to a few salary dumps we acquired but in large part we gave away good prospects and established players a bunch of which went on to become all-stars w/ their new teams.

You haven;t brough any facts to this discussion and have ignored all that I have provided for you.

Maybe the Indians could have? they paid Julio Franco $2.4 mil, they were paying Carlos Baerga 4.75 mil, Eddie Murray 2 mil- 3 players who were stiffs at that point in their careers. Anybody coud have had Raines, there weren't 20 teams lined up to get him.
    Give it up. The more you write the more clear it becomes how clueless you are. Carlos Baerga a stiff ? Going into 1996 at the age of 27 he had hit over .300 four consecutive years in had over 200 hits in two consecutive seasons, no MLB second baseman had ever had more than one 200 hit season. He had been an All Star 3 of last four seasons and over the preceeding few years had finished among the top ten in a multitude of hitting categories. Going into 1996 not only was Baerga the superior player to Raines but nearly everyone thought (and turned out wrong) that he had years of stardom ahead of him. Besides if the Tribe had dumped him in favor of Raines who would have played second.

Tell me a wise one what was the market price for someone with Baerga's credentials in 1996?

Franco did not play in the U.S. in 1995. In 1994 he hit .319 for the White Sox. Why the Tribe signed him over Raines who knows? Perhaps they thought they'd get a more productive player. With 432 ABs he hit .322 with 14 homers and 76 RBIs. He was paid $2.4 million. Raines with 201 ABs hit .284 with 9 homers and 33 RBIs. He was paid $2.1 million. Franco plays First, Raines doesn't. The Tribe didn't need an outfielder having perhaps the best in Baseball with Belle, Lofton and Manny as starters and Giles as a reserve.

Let's see Eddie Murray in 1995 in 436 ABs hit .323 with 82 RBIs and 21 doubles and 21 homers. He also provided leadership for a young team of position players. In 1996 he made $2 million. Hmmm at the end of the 1995 season would I have preferred Murray for 1996 or Raines at $2.1 million? Definitely Murray because except perhaps for you Oh Wise One, the sudden dramatic errosion of his hitting skills in 1996 was not reasonably foreseeable.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    [QUOTE=RLA68 The Yankees are great for MLB because first of all they fill the stadium wherever they go. They have led road attendance the last 10 years.[/QUOTE]You really ought to read all the posts in a thread. These arguments have been raised and replied to. If you don't agree with the replies that is fine but please don't pose an identical assertion ignoring replies already given. It just wastes everyone's time.

The short answer is that the Yankees do not fill stadiums of small market teams and the incremental revenue received by most of the teams for three games a year does not nearly compensate for what the Yankees have done to MLB's salary structure.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Jennifer, it's like talking to a wall...

Please...just do.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    The short answer is that the Yankees do not fill stadiums of small market teams and the incremental revenue received by most of the teams for three games a year does not nearly compensate for what the Yankees have done to MLB's salary structure.
    I believe all of the owners are collectively responsible for the salary structure, but thats just my $0.02. Since you asked for it a while back, here's the info you wanted:

Yanks are second inthe league in road attendance to the Red Sox. I was wrong. Boston has drawn 1,499,714 to the Yanks 1,206,534.

An average three game series in Kansas City gets 57,954 (19,318/game). The Yankees drew 72,303 on May 31 to June 2, for a difference of 14,349.

An average three game series in Milwaukee gets 75,978 (25,326/game). The Yankees drew 107,824 on June 6 to 8, for a difference of 31,846.

An average three game series in Minnesota gets 77,631 (25,877/game). The Yankees drew 124,440 on June 3 to 5, for a difference of 46,809.

An average three game series in Oakland gets 69,723 (23,241/game). The Yankees drew 117,053 on May 13 to 15, for a difference of 47,330.
    Last edited by Hmark6; 06-23-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Dates were wrong

MLB ERA
    the point there was that for the whole year a 3 game series is not adding as much to the other team's revenue as you make it out to be. And that benefit does not outweigh the negative. If it added so much to the other teams, then you'd see a dramatic increase in their payroll.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    the point there was that for the whole year a 3 game series is not adding as much to the other team's revenue as you make it out to be. And that benefit does not outweigh the negative. If it added so much to the other teams, then you'd see a dramatic increase in their payroll.
    Yes but the Yankees (and Red Sox) are raising attendance level league wide of the past few years. Payrolls have increased league wide over the past few years. This can only benefit baseball. Interest in MLB is growing at a good pace and the Yankees (and Red Sox) have more to do with it than the Kansas City Royals (and Indians).

This conversation brings to mind another question: Why is nobody b!tching about the Red Sox buying a championship?

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Jennifer, it's like talking to a wall...
    You mean talking to Jennifer is like talking to a wall.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emo
    Oh pleaaase,

That's not the point. Who else comes close to the New York Yankees in baseball? Or unless you want to look around amongst other sports like the NFL or the NBA, but it still wouldn't be a relevant statement because those leagues have salary caps which often decides a new champion every year. It's so easy for anybody to see 26 championships, superstars, and an unlimited budget all in one and label themselves a Yankee fan.

I'm not judging it on one season alone. Stenie put your franchise on the ropes this year. And all this started from how you choked last year, paranoia, and going on a panic attack trying to buy away superstars that definitely wasn't needed, and going on a money tug of war with the Boston Red Sox. Everything's a mess. Your rotation is nothing but names. They're ineffective, old, and inconsistent. When is Randy Johnson finally going to break out of his shell? Can Kevin Brown finally break away from his second home on the disabled list? Why haven't I heard of Jaret Wright yet? Exactly how old is Mussina? Your offense is 0-25 upon scoring three runs or less, and with that being said, there's no killer instinct to win, being manhandled by lowly clubs i.e. the Kansas City Royals, Tampa Bay Devil Rays who are embarrassly 6-3 against you, and the Milwaukee Brewers......the bullpen stinks, you tell me who's valuable coming out of the pen? Mariano Rivera? You better hope you don't face Boston IF your club actually gets to the playoffs.

And lastly, the club's full of overpaid players which of course nobody would be willing to take on because their salaries are too high to deal with. You want to trade for Mark Kotsay? Who's actually in your farm system that Oakland would love to take on? LOL. Oh yeah, looks like Stenie cleaned out the farm as well. The old Yankees were built around unselfish veteran players that wanted nothing more but to go out and win, get the job done on a daily basis, and win championships. It hasn't happened since 2000, and from the way it's going right now, it may not happen for a long time.

But before you even start to blast my team, or other clubs for that matter, why don't you worry about passing 4 other teams for the AL Wildcard.
    First of all, I'm not a Yankees fan nor I have not indicated that I'm a Yankees fan. You assume I'm a Yankee fan because I was defending the team and their diehard fans of this board. Unfortunately for you, you are too ignorant to believe that not every fan of another team shares the same negative feelings about the Yankees as you do. If it's so easy for anybodyto label themselves a Yankee fan, then why isn't everybody a Yankee fan? Because get this, diehard fans, whether they're Yankee or Giant fans, actually stick with their team.

Uhh, you're not judging it on one season alone? Then why are you pointing to Randy Johnson and Jaret Wright and their losses to the lowly teams? What does Mike Mussina's age have to do with mediocrity? How Clemens is pitching right now at his age is nowhere near mediocrity.

Who do the Yankees have the farm system that might interest other teams? Do the names Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes ring a bell? If not, you need to get yourself a copy of Baseball America (one that doesn't still have Jesse Foppert, Jerome Williams, or Kurt Ainsworth still in its top 100 list of prospects) or just do a search on this board. You will find that the Yankee fans here don't even want to give those two up for Kotsay.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    You mean talking to Jennifer is like talking to a wall.
    you just proved my point

Convincing anyone in this thread is like convincing a wall. Why don't we all give up?

MLB ERA
    because then no one could ever be "WIN METHOD CERTIFIED"

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    First of all, I'm not a Yankees fan nor I have not indicated that I'm a Yankees fan. You assume I'm a Yankee fan because I was defending the team and their diehard fans of this board.
    Must've been brainwashed. I feel sorry for you for even attempting to defend that franchise.

Unfortunately for you, you are too ignorant to believe that not every fan of another team shares the same negative feelings about the Yankees as you do. If it's so easy for anybodyto label themselves a Yankee fan, then why isn't everybody a Yankee fan? Because get this, diehard fans, whether they're Yankee or Giant fans, actually stick with their team.
    Well check it.....Yankee fans, no matter how "real" they claim to be, have just the same amount of anti-Yankee fans as well. For people not willing to call themselves Yankee fans, God Bless 'em. because obviously they know what team to represent for in their regional area, and secondly they are logical enough to talk what real baseball is besides talking to a wall which are Yankee fans. I remember a quote from one of my favorite radio show hosts, Bruce Jacobs, (sadly enough a Bonds hater) and he said, "You don't want your children associating with Yankee fans."

Uhh, you're not judging it on one season alone? Then why are you pointing to Randy Johnson and Jaret Wright and their losses to the lowly teams? What does Mike Mussina's age have to do with mediocrity? How Clemens is pitching right now at his age is nowhere near mediocrity.
    Because this season was when they were supposed to revamp? Or wait, Yankee fans say that every year and where does it take them? If you want, we can keep pace with the failures from 2001-2005 and you tell me, has there been improvements? And don't come out and say well they were in the World Series two of the four years 'cause in that zoo, it's all about a ring or the season's a failure. Mussina's age has nothing to do with mediocrity, but once his arm falls off, that's nothing more but somebody that affects the Yankee budget even more. (Ex. Giambi, Kevin Brown, etc.) Now that you've mentioned Clemens, ever since he departed with Pettitte, the Yankee pitching staff was never the same again, and they only wish that they had them back.

Who do the Yankees have the farm system that might interest other teams? Do the names Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes ring a bell?
    Who?

So you're judging all Yankees fans by your sister? Wow, dude, you're a freaking dumbass.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast