Thread: Wang-less in September

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Injury Wang-less in September

NEW YORK -- Yankees manager Joe Girardi is shooting down speculation that injured right-handed starter Chien-Ming Wang could return to the mound in September.

Chien-Ming Wang

Wang
    Wang, injured running the bases in Houston on June 15, got the cast off his right foot on Tuesday and is expected to be on crutches with a boot protecting his leg for another week before being re-evaluated.

But Girardi said a stretch drive return is out of the question.

"The chances of getting him back on September 1st is zero," Girardi said. "October 1st is possible."

Wang, a 19-game winner each of the past two seasons, was 8-2 with a 4.07 ERA when he got hurt. Girardi said he wouldn't hesitate to throw Wang back into the rotation just as soon as he's ready to go, pennant race or not.

"I would not hesitate," Girardi said. "As long as he's healthy we'll throw him out there."

The Yankees also reinstated reliever Brian Bruney from the 60-day disabled list before their game against the Los Angeles Angels on Friday night.

Bruney was added to the 40-man roster, and since the Yankees were below the limit, no player had to be removed. Reliever Chris Britton was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre.

Manager Joe Girardi said Bruney would be worked back in to the bullpen mix slowly at first. If all goes well, Bruney may join Damaso Marte, Jose Veras and Edwar Ramirez as part of the late-inning mix.

That's a tough blow, Mussina and Pettite have been pretty solid this season. Think they can manage with everything they throw out there for the rest of the rotation? Ponson seems to be hit or really miss, Rasner has his moments, and Joba has made a good transition to starter. You have at least your top 3 set, will that be enough?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Wang-less in September

I knew Wang was done for the season, so this doesn't feel like a big deal to me because I knew it was going to happen. The Yankees probably did too, they just didn't say anything about it until now.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

No need to fear, Carl Pavano is trying to make a comeback!
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

AAA ERA

We still have enough to make it to october, we have some other injured guys getting ready and pitching well in the minors plus we still have the waiver deadline.