Thread: Eric Milton? I'm sorry

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Player Eric Milton? I'm sorry

Gernal manager Brian Cashman confirmed the Yankees have signed lefty Eric Milton to a minor-league contract.

Milton, who turns 33 next month, is still recovering from "Tommy John" surgery. He threw on flat ground today in Tampa, Fla., and is at least six weeks away from pitching in games.

"If he does anything to help us this year, that's fine," Cashman said. "We're just going to have a chance to get an advance look (for 2009)."

Milton was the Yankees' No. 1 draft pick in 1996 but they traded him to Minnesota in February 1998 as part of a package for Chuck Knoblauch. Milton has an 87-84 career record and 5.01 ERA for Minnesota, Philadelphia and Cincinnati.

The Yankees have also worked out but not signed right-hander Victor Zambrano.
    If the Yanks can get this guy going, I would be amazed. You guys have to hope he never makes it back to the majors. He can kill the Clippers for a few weeks, but please don't call him up.

Re: Eric Milton? I'm sorry

If the Yankees wanted Milton of the past, they should have kept him in the first place.
    Twins All-Time Record since the day I exist
    3,955 total games (1964-1991), .496

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Doubt he has any impact.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Maybe the Yankeed can sign Victor Zambrano and trade him for Kazmir, straight up, like the Mets did once?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Good for Eric. He's a good guy, who works hard and seems to really take any bad performance to heart. Sadly he gets a lot negative feelings thrown his way because he got a contract he didn't deserve and expectations were set that he wasn't capable of meeting nor had he ever accomplished. Of course in that first year of that Reds contract, he was beyond horrible, but that might have been simply due to the expectations he put on himself.

Used as a 12th man, I don't see why he could lower that 5.17 type of ERA he later had with the Reds to a 4.80 (similar to what he had done before Cincinnati) while in a long relief role.

AAA ERA

Does anyone realize that not every signing has to be big? He's taking a low risk chance, if he shows he can pitch he'll get an opportunity, if not they let him go.