Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feel it is time to fire Joe Torre?

Anyone else feel it is time to fire Joe Torre?

I love what he did in his first 5 years 1996-2000 4 World Series titles.

2001-2005 is a different story.
    2001 was the tail end of an era and we were in position going into the 9th to win we didn't. A great D-Backs team beat us in game 7 of the World Series.
    2002 we added Giambi and got handled by the Angels in the divisional series.
    2003 we lost to the Marlins in the World Series.
    2004 we lost 4 games in a row after leading 3-0 for the A.L. pennant.
    0 World Titles, 2 Pennants and 4 Division titles

2005 Barely at .500. Playoffs? We need a new motivator. He has led us to some great success even in the last 4 years but this franchise is not ready to settle for a division title or even pennant right now. The demand is for a World Title.

MLB ERA
    Joe Torre has quirks like any manager. He keeps an awful bench, always has. Like any manager, he has to play the hand he's dealt. He has a team full of overrated and old players. All the help from the farm is already up and playing. I don't believe he should be fired for the decisions that the team has chosen to make the last several years. Firing him does not make Bernie Williams younger or Tony Womack worth anything, and it never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I got 12 million reasons why George won't fire Torre.

Yes, lets fire Torre, Cashman, get Billy Beane here and Lou Piniella and trade for Griffey, Clemens and Thome.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RLA68
    I love what he did in his first 5 years 1996-2000 4 World Series titles.

2001-2005 is a different story.
    2001 was the tail end of an era and we were in position going into the 9th to win we didn't. A great D-Backs team beat us in game 7 of the World Series.
    2002 we added Giambi and got handled by the Angels in the divisional series.
    2003 we lost to the Marlins in the World Series.
    2004 we lost 4 games in a row after leading 3-0 for the A.L. pennant.
    0 World Titles, 2 Pennants and 4 Division titles

2005 Barely at .500. Playoffs? We need a new motivator. He has led us to some great success even in the last 4 years but this franchise is not ready to settle for a division title or even pennant right now. The demand is for a World Title.

lol you Yankees fans are desperate huh?

AAA ERA
    Are you kidding me RLA? How many pennants does Bobby Cox have since 2001? Is it time the Braves fire him? You're not thinking clearly, which is usually one of your strengths.

We don't need skip to get fired to get this team going. They need a walk off homerun in extra innings, or a bench-clearer, or something like that to rally around. Even taking 2 of 3 from St.Louis might get them going.

AAA ERA
    No way would i fire Joe, he's not a rah-rah guy, hes not an in your face Billy Martin-lou Piniella type- he is a calm leader who keeps his team calm. His leadership was a main reason we had so many great comeback wins, our teams would never panic. Is it going to work all the time? of course not but I don;'t think he should change and I don't think we should make a change. I still believe we'll be ok and be back in the race before long and I think Joe's steady leadership will be one of the reasons we come back.

Great points by Hmark and NyJunc but my contention is in how the team responds to his leadership.

Maybe we need a in-your-face guy. We might just need a change. I respect Torre and cherish what he has done in leading some of if not the most special teams ever(to me)to the World Series title.

The fact is that with supposedly more ammo...this team since 2002 has not shown the same fire as the group with Paul O'Neil and Scott Brosious.

Fact #2. The only fix is for them to simply play better. There will not be a miracle trade. No one wants to help us and we have nothing of value that a sane person would trade away.

Last Note: I hope I am wrong in my pessimism.

As we get closer and closer to All Star break...Yankee Management needs to face reality of how many panic buttons we can push. Do we do the best we can this year and let the chips fall where they may? Do we plan for the future such as not giving away any and all prospects for someone?

None of that is their style. I still contend that the panic button to be pushed is to get someone in there to be a motivator to the team. It is not Joe's fault totally but he is the manager. He is supposed to motivate this group to play better.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'd fire Cashman before I fire Torre. Steinbrenner is always overriding what Cashman wants to do anyway...what's the point in having a GM if the owner is going to not listen to him or let him do what he wants?

The Boss has not always made the final decisions, Cashman along with others including Torre...were successful in swaying decisions that the Boss openly wanted to make such as tradining Andy Pettite multiple times.

The fate of the GM is not going to effect the players motivation wise.

MLB ERA
    Motivation? So the Yankees are playing bad because they aren't trying hard enough? You're grasping at straws. The Yankees are actually playing about well as you can reasonably expect them to, which just isn't that good. Motivation isn't the key, getting better players is.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Excuse me? You think all 25 players especially our pitching staff are playing up to their potential?

How about situational hitting? Are the Yankees getting it done in that category? Last I checked the Yankees are 0-27 (or something like that) when scoring less than 4 runs.

The talent is there. The will to win is not.

The batting talent is there. If this league ran on batting alone, we'd be way up there. We can't pitch to a AAA squad though.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

We are not getting the clutch or timely hits either.

There is no excuse for the losses we have sustained in close ballgames. How many times did we have opportunities but we got shutdown? How many subpar pitchers looked like All Stars after their start vs our fearsome lineup?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast