Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wang gets pounded

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pitching Wang gets pounded

What's up with Chien-Ming Wang? He got pounded once again today, that's 4 straight starts where he has been roughed up and his outings have gotten shorter every single time out. Today, he wasn't able to make it out of the fifth inning! The Yankees needed a Jason Giambi walk-off HR just to salvage it. Wang's ERA is getting dangerously close to 5, cause for concern?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Wang gets pounded

great headline

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    What's up with Chien-Ming Wang? He got pounded once again today, that's 4 straight starts where he has been roughed up and his outings have gotten shorter every single time out. Today, he wasn't able to make it out of the fifth inning! The Yankees needed a Jason Giambi walk-off HR just to salvage it. Wang's ERA is getting dangerously close to 5, cause for concern?
    I was there...and Wang should've been out of that inning.

Both ARod and Melky made errors, and Melky could've doubled up the runner (they ruled ARod's a hit)

That whole scenario was bullshit man, you aren't doing his outing justice.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

5 or more earned runs in each of his last four outings is doing him justice.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    5 or more earned runs in each of his last four outings is doing him justice.
    Today should've been 4 ER...and he should've pitched into the 6th...

But Melky and ARod ****ed it up.

We still won, so **** it, but Wang has given up only 3 HR and 27 H, while allowing 23 (should've been 21 ER)

That's called bad luck.

He wasn't even hit hard today...just out of reach pop ups and nicely placed grounders, plus a few walks.

Bad Breaks don't crucify a pitcher.

Unless of course you really are a "runs are all that matters" in which case, well, Wang has sucked.

Still, we're 3-1 in those starts, so it isn't that big of a deal.

AAA ERA

I didn't see Wang's performance but he's been pretty bad for a while now. He started out the year great but since that 2nd Boston game where he got pounded he hasn't been the same. he has sprinkled in some good performances but overall it's been bad. His ERA is over 4.5 now. He's been a huge disappointment.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Wang really needs to become the leader of this staff. He surely has the talent to do it. With him stepping it up and Andy Pettitte that is what is going to keep this rotation a float. Mussina is now nothing more than a lower end of the rotation guy that can be quality in that role and Joba is going to be something special and this kid Rasner is doing just fine in the rotation. As much as I don't want to say it if Wang can get out of this funk the Yankees rotation is looking pretty good. Now they just need to find someone other than Farnsworth and Hawkins to go to in the late innings to get to Rivera.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I didn't see Wang's performance but he's been pretty bad for a while now. He started out the year great but since that 2nd Boston game where he got pounded he hasn't been the same. he has sprinkled in some good performances but overall it's been bad. His ERA is over 4.5 now. He's been a huge disappointment.
    It's bad luck dude.

If he was walking 25 batters, giving up 50 hits, and giving up his ~25 R, then I'd agree.

But he's giving up almost as many runs as hits...that's not normal and bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Wang really needs to become the leader of this staff. He surely has the talent to do it.
    Wang is the leader. When a pitcher wins 19 games for 2 straight years, he becomes that.

With him stepping it up and Andy Pettitte that is what is going to keep this rotation a float.
    Right now him and Pettite are the bad points of the rotation. They are doing the opposite of keeping the rotation afloat.

Mussina is now nothing more than a lower end of the rotation guy that can be quality in that role and Joba is going to be something special and this kid Rasner is doing just fine in the rotation.
    Right. Mussina, the guy who leads the AL in wins, and is 8-1 in his last 9 starts, is nothing more than a "lower end starter."

Joba needs to prove himself in the rotation and realize that you don't save pitches and at bats for later in the game. As a pitcher, you need to go after every hitter always if you throw that hard.

Rasner is a good pitcher, but he's been cooling down as of late as well.

As much as I don't want to say it if Wang can get out of this funk the Yankees rotation is looking pretty good. Now they just need to find someone other than Farnsworth and Hawkins to go to in the late innings to get to Rivera.
    The rotation is a huge issue. The team can't seem to string together a consistent pitching staff that pitches well each time through.

And as far as the bullpen, people don't give Farnsy and Hawk enough credit. They only see the batters that they let on, and remember the games that they blow...but both of them pitch well more often than not, and just because they seem to blow the occasional big game doesn't mean they suck.

Yankee fans need to get over themselves...not everyone is Mo

AAA ERA

2 months of bad luck? I can't buy that.

MLB ERA

2 years of consistency and dominance, or two months of overrated difficulty.

I'll take the two years.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    2 years of consistency and dominance, or two months of overrated difficulty.

I'll take the two years.
    When has he ever been dominant? He's been good but far from dominant. The problem is he's more like a #3 or 4 starter and he has to be our #1 so we rely on him too much. If these young guys can develop it will push him back to where he should be then maybe he won't feel as much pressure and might be able to pitch in october. He's been awful for 2 months now, I am concerned especially coming off his embarrasing performances against Cleveland last year. The first few weeks of the season it looked like he turned a corner but since then he's been bad. I full expect he'll rebound and be a good starter again but I am concerned.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    When has he ever been dominant? He's been good but far from dominant. The problem is he's more like a #3 or 4 starter and he has to be our #1 so we rely on him too much. If these young guys can develop it will push him back to where he should be then maybe he won't feel as much pressure and might be able to pitch in october. He's been awful for 2 months now, I am concerned especially coming off his embarrasing performances against Cleveland last year. The first few weeks of the season it looked like he turned a corner but since then he's been bad. I full expect he'll rebound and be a good starter again but I am concerned.
    I'm just going to sound like joek as I give you your reality check right now.

Dude has the most wins the past two seasons in the Majors ('06-'07) with 38.

Maybe he isn't "dominant" but as long as he wins at that clip who really cares?

He is an Ace, plain and simple.

He is not an ace. Santana, Webb, Haren, Beckett, Halladay, Volquez all are aces.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    I'm disappointed that you didn't go with "maybe something is wang with him".
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    He is not an ace. Santana, Webb, Haren, Beckett, Halladay, Volquez all are aces.
    Volquez is pitching like an ace right now but has no history of consistency to back him up as a clear cut ace.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast