Thread: David Wells Wants To Come Back To The Bronx

MLB ERA

David Wells Wants To Come Back To The Bronx

For his 45th birthday in 11 days, David Wells wants something pinstriped.

The free-agent left-hander told The Post yesterday he has been working out near his home in San Diego and believes he could bolster a Yankees New York Yankees ' rotation suddenly besieged by question marks.

Could Boomer III be in the cards? Consider that Wells has a huge fan monitoring the situation from Tampa. Hank Steinbrenner admitted yesterday that Wells, who recently made appearances on "Best Damn Sports Show Period," has crossed his mind as a possibility for the Yankees' rotation.

"I've thought about it," Steinbrenner told The Post. "I saw him on TV, and I did think about it when I was watching."

But Steinbrenner said he has not discussed Wells' availability with GM Brian Cashman or manager Joe Girardi. That, Steinbrenner indicated, could change depending upon how Darrell Rasner Darrell Rasner and Kei Igawa fare in the rotation as Phil Hughes Phil Hughes sits on the disabled list for at least two months with a rib fracture and Ian Kennedy attempts to return from Triple-A.

"You never know," Steinbrenner said. "[Wells] hasn't come up in conversation, but I've had so much other [bleep] to deal with lately."

Wells finished 9-9 with a 5.43 ERA for the Padres and Dodgers last season, and went unsigned over the winter. He does not consider himself retired, and said his arm feels great and he has been attempting to keep loose by pitching to his son's high-school team.

Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes during spring training last year, Wells has shed 25 pounds and tips the scales around 245.

"I'm in shape, I'd just have to fine-tune a couple of things," Wells said. "I'd need a little bit of time, but not much. Physically I feel fine, real good."

Wells, who has 239 career victories, pitched for the Yankees from 1997-98 and again from 2002-03. The 10th anniversary of his perfect game against the Twins is a week from tomorrow.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/05092008...042.htm?page=1

I have split feelings after reading this story. I don't really think that Wells would give us that much and that he would be able to contribute a whole lot. But, we do need the help quite a bit and I would much rather see Wells on the mound than Igawa.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: David Wells Wants To Come Back To The Bronx

He gives you more than Hughes and Kennedy.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    He weighs more than Hughes and Kennedy put together. He probably wants to come back because he knows the Yankees clubhouse has a great spread of food and beer in it after the games.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Absolutely ****ing not. No way.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

yes do it, PLEASE
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I thought for sure he'd be done after being released last year from the Padres. But then the Dodgers picked him up, so I guess anything is possible in the baseball world.

AAA ERA

W/ Hughes being out until July he does but Kennedy should be back soon and I do not expect these guys to struggle all year. At a minimum cost it wouldn't hurt to give him a few starts(has to be better than Igawa) to help the back of the rotation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its Kennedy's first season. He will struggle and be inconsistent all year. One big roller coaster ride.

AAA ERA

Its Kennedy's first season. He will struggle and be inconsistent all year. One big roller coaster ride.
    Absolutely, I love how Yankee fans are already giving up on Kennedy and Hughes. I am very confident both will be very good pitchers but some guys develop faster than others, I still believe both players will be a factor down the stretch. I'd rather they have their struggles in April than pitching like they have in big games.

Banned
    ERA
    Call NASA

I just don't think this would really be beneficial for the yanks..

MLB ERA

First off, is he even ready to pitch? And second off, this is ridiculous, because the Yankees do not need another pitcher who will be on the DL in 2 weeks