Thread: Yankees won't buy (current) stadium from city

Yankees Yankees won't buy (current) stadium from city

The New York Yankees announced Monday that they don't intend to buy the current Yankee Stadium from the City of New York.

This year marks the final season for the Yankees at their current stadium, which opened in 1923 and reopened in 1976 after an extensive three year renovation. The team will play in a new facility in 2009.

"We have been in talks with city officials to determine the best way for the City to realize value in the assets of the current Yankee Stadium," team president Randy Levine said. "The goal is to find the best and most efficient way to make memorabilia items available to the public and our fans.

"There is no agreement as of yet as to the best method of making these items available but our discussions with the city are continuing. When there is an agreement we will let everyone know."

The Yankees also announced Monday that they will officially rename Legends Field in Tampa, their spring training facility and home of the Single-A Tampa Yankees, to George M. Steinbrenner Field during a pre-game ceremony on Thursday before a spring training contest versus the Pittsburgh Pirates.
    The Sports Network - Major League Baseball

It's possible to buy stadiums?

MLB ERA

Re: Yankees won't buy (current) stadium from city

They are going to rename Legends Field to George M. Steinbrenner Field? Who was the genius that thought of that stupid idea?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    Who was the genius that thought of that stupid idea?
    Take a guess.......

As much of a die hard yankees fan as i am, i freakin hate george steinbrenner.....
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a way of honoring one of the greatest owners in sports history. And when people disagree with that statement, please ask yourself how your team would look if your owner cared as much as George Steinbrenner.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I liked "Legends Field" a whole lot better. I rolled off the tongue better, and it honored the Yankees past, present, and future.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

eh, it's an annoyingly long name, but whatever floats their boat.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a way of honoring one of the greatest owners in sports history. And when people disagree with that statement, please ask yourself how your team would look if your owner cared as much as George Steinbrenner.
    I disagree w/ it. If he never got suspended we wouldn't have had the latst dynasty and he ruined the latest dynasty by going out and getting big name FAs again like he did in the 80s. I like him, I like that he cares so much but he should have left baseball matters to people who knew what they were doing.

How much of the old stadium do they plan on keeping?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.