Thread: Bombers To Discuss Joba's Role

Yankees Bombers To Discuss Joba's Role

Joe Girardi and his staff will meet soon to discuss what pitchers fit into what roles. There will be other names on the table but the one who is most critical to the Yankees New York Yankees ' success will be Joba Chamberlain Joba Chamberlain .

Get More On The Yankees Blog

The plan from January on has been to open the season with Chamberlain in the bullpen setting up Mariano Rivera Mariano Rivera .

Eventually, the Yankees believe the electric right-hander will go into the rotation and haven't ruled that out happening this year.

Nevertheless, if the Yankees want him to acclimate to the bullpen it's likely they will want to use him in relief for an inning or two at some point instead of working him as a starter.

"We will sit and talk about in the next couple of days and make decisions about putting a roster together," Girardi said. "We have had 15 days of games and you have the last two weeks. You get an idea of what you are going to do."

As for Chamberlain, whose up-and-down spring training continued yesterday when he gave up three runs and four hits in three innings to the Tigers in an 11-7 Yankee victory at Lakeland, Girardi said he is focusing on his development.

"Our idea is to develop him and we will continue to evaluate that process," Girardi said. "As we get further down the road here we will make decisions."

With Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy set as the five starters, there isn't room for Chamberlain in the rotation.

Because Kyle Farnsworth can't be trusted as Rivera's setup man, the task falls to Chamberlain. Of course, by stretching Chamberlain out as a starter he also becomes insurance if an injury surfaces to one of the five starters.

"I felt fantastic," said Chamberlain, who gave up a homer to Curtis Granderson. "Overall, it was probably my best outing as far as feeling and stuff that I had."
    BOMBERS TO DISCUSS JOBA'S ROLE - New York Post

No matter what role, Joba is gonna have a monster season like he did in 2007/

MLB ERA

Re: Bombers To Discuss Joba's Role

This points out the biggest weakness the Yankees have. Their bullpen is troublesome and they will have to score a lot of runs to win games this season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Just in case you guys didn't hear, Joba is officially in the bullpen this year:

The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: Joba dominates in 'pen debut

After preparing Chamberlain as a starting pitcher during Spring Training, the Yankees informed the 22-year-old right-hander on Wednesday that he would begin the season in the bullpen, helping to set up for closer Mariano Rivera.

Chamberlain had gone through some rocky outings over the first few weeks of the spring, bringing a 6.14 ERA into Thursday's game as he had toyed with his developing curveball and changeup.

Personally, I think this is a great thing...as a stud who switched from starter to reliever, we've seen Rivera be ridiculous...not to say that this is the same, but why move him from his comfort zone? The precedent is set...plus Joba is game tested for two years when Mo retires (tear)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I've been saying this all along

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I've been saying this all along
    You've been right all along then.