Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees to sign Billy Crystal...no, seriously

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Yankees to sign Billy Crystal...no, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    If an at-bat or two is going to make such a huge difference for someone, I don't want that guy on my team. Let them take extra BP on another field or something.

I think I am looking at it from a manager's standpoint. If Girardi is seeing less of someone because of this mickey mouse operation, then I am simply happy I am not that someone.

I don't think I would even want Babe Ruth to come out of his grave and swing it in my place. Yes, the fans may come out to see him instead of me. But I have to make this team still and my manager has to see me in as many ABs as possible.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If an at-bat or two is going to make such a huge difference for someone, I don't want that guy on my team. Let them take extra BP on another field or something.
    Hilarious!!! That is what you should be saying about Billy Crystal!!! Can you not see this through a player's eyes? Would you love to get ****ed over by Billy Crystal and a dumbass gimic? Comparison to an All Star game and a WS game is somehow logical since they are both games....according to you. Hey, its just a game so **** it right? You don't want a guy that might need an extra AB or two to be on your team but you want Billy Crystal? Like I said earlier, Girardi thinks teams are playing too tough and obviously the Yankees won't be one of those teams. After getting bounced out of the first round the past few years and probably not making the playoffs this year, you'd think the Yankees would take things seriously. Guess not! Play ball Mr. Crystal!

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Wow! It's a game. What an original concept. Why not let matt Damon play first base at the All Star game? Tom Selleck can play first base in October. I mean there all games and this doesn;t hurt anything right? Get ****ing real or go watch E! channel.

First of all, relax. Second of all, it's up to the team to do whatever they please with its roster, especially for a ST game.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

It's so stupid that you think this.

Considering how late in Spring Training this is, considering it's raising money for a foundation, and also factoring in that this is the Yankees, and any indelible mark on a manager is already made, you are making this way too big of a deal.

I'm sorry if some kid threw all his eggs in the baseball ticket out of HS, and, with no degree, needs an extra two at bats to make his career. Guess we should feel bad for his stupid decision. The greater point is, if the kids are proven, or if they progress, than they will. Odds are one spring training game won't make their career. Point out someone who has been made off of Spring Training, and then maybe you have an argument.

It's entertainment.

MLB ERA

Comparing football to baseball its apples and oranges, but I will still say this, Terrell Davis only made it on the Broncos because of ONE play in ONE game, if he doesn't play in that game we dont know what could happen.

Also Garth Brooks was a ST invite, he had to earn a spot on the team, it wasn't given to him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You think I'm stupid and I think you're stupid. Perfect world!

Hopefully the arguments can end here...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

There was only one argument

Yes, and it was presented by Dry, myself and Browntown. :P

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    Yes, and it was presented by Dry, myself and Browntown. :P
    Correct.

I can't believe we know how to push LTRs buttons now.

Bring up Billy Crystal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, just bring up pointless shit that takes away from deserving players and I will side with the player everyday Calling it entertainment was hardly an argument

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No, just bring up pointless shit that takes away from deserving players and I will side with the player everyday Calling it entertainment was hardly an argument
    Wasn't your argument that they might be deserving, but we don't know, and this at bat could prove so to us?

Because I'll tell you right now it takes more than 3 at bats to prove to me that a player is the real deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Every player in spring training is deserving, an actor is not. That was the main point! Those 3 ABs as you put it could propel another day for someone. That extra day could lead to another one or at least make a name for himself so in case someone gets injured they can say 'Hey, remember so and so who had a pretty good spring?'. Notice I said spring and not 3 ABs? You want to push my buttons yes please pick an actor over a ballplayer.

MLB ERA

If you want Billy Crystal to play, either tell him to go to Fantasy Camp, or give him one at bat in an intra-squad game before the spring training schedule starts. Don't give him a contract and all this publicity. It's not like the Yankees need more media attention.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    In all seriousness, though, it's nothing more than a publicity stunt.

I don't see it as something to get all uptight about.

It's not like he's signing Crystal and actually expecting him to compete for a roster spot.
    Why do the New york Yankees, the most famous team in all of sports, have to embarrass themselves w/ a publicity stunt?

I agree with General. HE'S PLAYING IN ONE ****ING SPRING TRAINING GAME. CALM THE **** DOWN EVERYONE.
    It doesn't matter, he shouldn't be playing in any games. He's a fan, he hasn't earned the right to wear that unifrom and play a game in it whether it's Spring Training or not. It's a disgrace to the Yankees and the game of baseball, this is something teams like the Royals or Pirates should do not the Yanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast