Thread: Yankees throw a perfect game

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees throw a perfect game

The franchise that has thrown them the most often recorded another one Tuesday, albeit a rain-shortened, five-inning gem. Phil Hughes and three relievers combined to stop the Toronto Blue Jays 2-0.

“It wasn’t the World Series, though,” kidded Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, a Yankees spring training instructor.

Berra caught Don Larsen’s perfect game in the 1956 World Series. David Cone and David Wells pitched them for the Yankees in the late 1990s—current manager Joe Girardi was on the Yankees for those two games.

“It’s great,” Girardi said.

Hughes worked the first inning, then made just one pitch in the second before the game was delayed by rain for an hour. The right-hander later threw two simulated innings in a batting cage.

“I got done what I needed,” Hughes said. “I was happy with it.”

Scott Patterson pitched the second and Kei Igawa took over for the next two innings. Billy Traber struck out the side in the fifth.

Girardi was most pleased that Igawa, who allowed a grand slam against South Florida last Friday, struck out two in a strong performance.

“Outstanding,” Girardi said. “I think it’s important for him. Everybody wants encouraging outings.”

Igawa threw 13 of 18 pitches for strikes.

“This time I was concentrating on throwing strikes,” Igawa said through a translator.

Blue Jays right-hander Jesse Litsch allowed one run and three hits over two innings. He also worked a simulated inning in the cage.

“I’m glad I got two in,” Litsch said. “I just wanted to go out there, prove something and throw my game.”

Litsch walked one and struck out one.

“He is fighting for a job, and we aren’t going to take him north unless he can help us,” Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said.

Melky Cabrera and Shelley Duncan hit run-scoring singles for the Yankees. Duncan has eight RBIs in three games.

Almost all of the regulars were replaced when the game resumed after the delay. It rained for most of the afternoon.

Notes

The Yankees renewed the contract of RHP Joba Chamberlain. He will get the minimum $390,000 in the majors and $69,000 if he is sent to the minors. RHP Phil Hughes agreed to a one-year deal worth $406,350 in the majors and $199,000 in the minors; RHP Ian Kennedy agreed at $394,275/$62,500. OF Melky Cabrera previously agreed at $461,200/$259,440. … New York OF Johnny Damon had several replica 2008 Yankees home uniforms in the clubhouse. The uniform has a patch on the left sleeve denoting the final season at Yankee Stadium, and an All-Star logo on the right sleeve. … Toronto RHP A.J. Burnett (broken right index finger nail) had no problems during a bullpen session. … Totonto closer B.J. Ryan (left elbow) remains on schedule to pitch in mid-March. … The Blue Jays assigned RHPs Jeremy Cummings and Jamie Vermilyea and LHP Ryan Ketchner to their minor league camp. … Actor-director Spike Lee was at the game.
    Five innings? Spring Training? Spin it any way you want folks, this one's going down in history.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Yankees throw a perfect game

I doubt a ST game will go down in history.

baseball-reference.com doesn't even keep track of them.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

For Kei Igawa, it will.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

interesting Spike Lee was at the game. He spoke in Syracuse like a week ago. He's all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    interesting Spike Lee was at the game. He spoke in Syracuse like a week ago. He's all over the place.
    It's amazing that man that has achieved that much has done so little. His movies are the worst and I can't remember the last time he made one.

MLB ERA

A ST perfect game....isn't there anything better to report on? Stop wasting your use of the english language