Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Chances

MLB ERA

Playoff Chances

With all the changes that have taken place from least season into Spring Training do all you Yankee fans honestly believe the Yankees are a shoe in for the playoffs? Joe Girardi did a good job with the Marlins last season.

Thoughts?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Playoff Chances

As the official Yankee basher, I will say no chance. I dont see the Yankees being able to get by Cleveland or Detroit. Boston will win the division again with my guess Cleveland as the wild card.

Yankees are relying on to many young starting pitchers to hold the fort down. I see a team that will win 75 to 79 games.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AAA ERA

Giradi is Dusty Baker the sequel. He tore apart those young Marlin arms. Now they are going to unleash him on the Yanks.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It's everyone's favorite time of year...bash the Yankees!

I think they'll win the division personally.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I won't be bashing the Yankees this season. How do you think Girardi will do with this team? How many wins do you believe they can achieve?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

I think Girardi will do well. He's not gonna wear out any arms this year, because there are too many people looking out for these kids here. Steinbrenner, Cashman, everyone wants to save the kids which is an attitude we didn't have for a while, but now the past couple years we have. I think they can win 95 games. Why not? The lineup is pretty much intact. The defense isn't sparkling, but it's certainly not bad. Wang and Pettitte will be consistent, and I truly believe Hughes is set for a big year. The one concern is who will step up out of the bullpen.

Do I think we can beat Boston? Sure I do. Boston might have more talent but of the last 7 teams to repeat, the 01 Diamondbacks and the 04 Red Sox were the only one to even make the PLAYOFFS the next season. And they got swept right away. Anything can happen to Boston too...people act like they don't have any holes. Lugo's not good. Drew's not good his grand slam regardless. Can Beckett stay healthy for another whole season? Will Schilling pitch at all? What does Wakefield have left? How good's Dice-K? do think Buchholz will be real good but you can't leave him alone if you bash only the Yankees guys for being young. Bottom line is both teams have strengths and weaknesses. Call me a homer but I like the Yankees.

MLB ERA

I think Girardi will do fine with the Yankees, but the team simply does not have the talent to compete with the Tigers, Angels, Red Sox, and Indians for the playoffs. they should finish with about 88 wins, but the Red Sox will have 94 and both the Tigers and Indians will have 92+.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

all I have to say is watch out for the Blue Jays
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

AAA ERA

I think we have a better team going in than we have in the past few years b/c we have better pitching. The problem is alot of the pitching is very young so you don't know if they will ready to blossom. I think the bats can carry us for a while and at some point the young guys will get it going and we should make the playoffs but if we miss it will be the only time for many years to come.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God View Post
    all I have to say is watch out for the Blue Jays
    For what, getting passed by Tampa?

MLB ERA

I don't see the Rays passing Toronto this season, but they should pass Baltimore.
    As to the Yankees making the playoffs annually, their starting pitching is getting better and younger, but the bullpen is a mess. They need to correct that problem before I will say they are the team they were a few years back.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Yankees are easily in the playoffs this year...

Why? I'm going to 25 games this year, and last year, they went 8-2 when I went.

They play for me.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Giradi is Dusty Baker the sequel. He tore apart those young Marlin arms. Now they are going to unleash him on the Yanks.
    Thats just bullshit, because Prior and Wood are/were injury prone you wana blame it on Baker? Baker was with the Giants from 93-02 how pitchers were on the DL/became injury prone because of Baker? I cant think of any off top of my head.

Now this is the first time I have heard about Girardi tearing apart young arms in Florida.

MLB ERA

Me too.

That's news to me...

2006 Florida Marlins Statistics and Roster - Baseball-Reference.com

Dontrelle threw 226 innings that year...Dontrelle Willis Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

He averages 214...if anyone ripped up arms it was McKeon in 2005.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    For what, getting passed by Tampa?
    oh a funny man

Anyway, if injuries finally go right for the Jays and the hitting and pitching come together instead of one doing great and the other doing shitty, like each year.

Dustin McGowan had a breakout year last season, so did Shaun Marcum, if both can continue this from last season, and A.J. Burnett stays healthy the rotation will only have to worry about who the 5th starter is and it won't be Josh Towers finally (sorry other teams).

The Jays' bullpen will be right up there, if (a big if) B.J. Ryan can return from Tommy John's surgery this season and be productive (only 10 months since the surgery), even down the line take over the closer's role, and if he doesn't come back Accardo did a great job as the closer last season.

The lineup has two areas of concern right now which is LF (Johnson/Stairs) and C (Zaun/Barajas), if Stairs has another good season I'll be happy, heck if Johnson can return to form after his back surgery, I'll even be happier. The catcher job is up to Zaun and hopefully Barajas when in there can step up. Short-stop will finally have a starter in Eckstein who's not named Royce Clayton.
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast