Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playoff Chances

AAA ERA

Re: Playoff Chances

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I don't see the Rays passing Toronto this season, but they should pass Baltimore.
    As to the Yankees making the playoffs annually, their starting pitching is getting better and younger, but the bullpen is a mess. They need to correct that problem before I will say they are the team they were a few years back.
    How can the Pen be a mess when you have Joba and Mariano in there? Overall it's not as string as we'd like but it sure looks better than last year.

MLB ERA

Those may be the only reliable arms there, and Joba is likely going to be put in the rotation soon. Who else is there?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

One word: EDWAR
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Whatever, Toronto was supposed to be the surprise team for the last 100 years and they always finish quietly in 3rd. Until they do something I won't worry.

MLB ERA

I believe the Yankees will be competitive, but I don't know how far competitive will take them. The one fear I would have if I were a Yankee fan is that: Pettite will hopefully be very good, and the same with Wang. Mussina is a huge question mark, and Hughes (and Chamberlain later in the season) will be limited in Innings Pitched. So, I think that other than Wang, you don't have anyone who guarantees you very many innings. Hopefully Pettite will as well, but Moose wont, and you have to hope for 150-175 from Hughes and Chamberlain. I think come September, it will be down to how well the bullpen has been managed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am not giving the Yankees a good chance to make the playoffs. This team is getting older out in the field and too young on the mound. The rotation will go through some growing pains with Kennedy and Hughes and Mussina and Pettitte are another year older. Rivera showed signs of declining and they don't have much else in the bullpen besides Joba. That was one area they needed some serious help and didn't get it. LaTroy Hawkins is no savior. The offesne will of course be good and hit there way to second place in the division but I think Detroit/Cleveland or Seattle/LA will take the Wild Card. I like the Yankees chances in '09 or '10 but not this year.

MLB ERA

You think Seattle will be better than the Yankees?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This year, yes I do. King Feliz and Bedard heading a more balanced rotation with Putz closing out games in the West gives them a better chance of making the playoffs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12