MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 2008 Random Yankees Ramblings

H-Mat's a pimp.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

That's hysterical. Way to go Matsui
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

The Series premiere of the Joe Girardi Show was postponed to April 13

MLB ERA

Jeter out until at least Friday, A-rod may step in at SS.

Derek Jeter will not play shortstop for the Yankees before this weekend at the earliest. Could Alex Rodriguez?

Manager Joe Girardi said on Tuesday that the Yankees have not discussed using Rodriguez at shortstop while Jeter mends his strained upper left quadriceps, but the idea has not been explicitly ruled out, depending on how much action Jeter is expected to miss.

"It would definitely be a challenge," Rodriguez said. "If Joe thinks that would be the best combination, I would let it fly."

In the meantime, utility man Wilson Betemit was in the lineup to start at shortstop on Tuesday as the Yankees opened a three-game series at Kauffman Stadium. Rodriguez, as he has for most of the time since joining the Yankees, started at third base.

"We're just thinking about [that] he's been our third baseman the last few years; he's comfortable playing third," Girardi said. "I don't see it being a problem, him not being comfortable playing short, but that's why we have Wilson. If someone goes down in the middle infield for a couple of days, that's why we have him."

Jeter felt the injury tug at his leg muscle while he attempted to beat out a double-play ball in the first inning on Monday at Yankee Stadium. He remained in the game, later scoring on Bobby Abreu's home run and playing one more half-inning at shortstop.

Jeter had his upper left leg wrapped in ice before Tuesday's game and spent time in the trainer's room, but he said of the pain: "It's not bad at all."
    The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: Jeter out until Friday at earliest

MLB ERA

More injury news: Posada could be sent to the DL.

KANSAS CITY -- Already without Derek Jeter for at least three games, the suddenly snake-bitten Yankees are now facing the possibility of losing All-Star catcher Jorge Posada to the disabled list.

Posada was removed from the Yankees' 5-2 loss to the Royals at Kauffman Stadium in the sixth inning on Tuesday, feeling a recurrence of the right shoulder stiffness that began to affect him following New York's season opener last week.

Asked how the shoulder feels, Posada said: "Dead. It's like I've got no strength."

The Royals ran wildly on Posada, stealing four bases -- three by speedster Joey Gathright -- and Yankees manager Joe Girardi acknowledged that keeping Posada behind the plate would now be a weakness.

"It's not sore," Girardi said. "The ball is just not coming out of his hand the way you want it to. His footwork is fine and everything. We'll have to sit down and talk about that tonight and evaluate what we're going to do."

Posada, 36, said that he expects to have an MRI focused on the back of his shoulder on Wednesday in Kansas City. Neither Girardi nor Posada would rule out a stint on the disabled list.

"We need to know what's going on," Posada said. "It's really early in the season, and we've got to be smart about it now. I don't want to be back there when I'm not helping the team out."

Posada, batting .176 (3-for-17) this season, said that the stiffness does not affect him while he is hitting, but he is unable to get any zip on his throws -- either to the bases or back to the mound.

The ailment has affected Posada for brief periods in the past, most recently during Spring Training, but unlike previous times, Posada has been unable to recover from an awkward throw made against the Blue Jays on April 1.

"It doesn't take that long to heal -- that's what I'm worried about," Posada said. "It usually takes four or five days and you're back at it. I had it during the spring, and now I have it a little bit now. I was throwing good down in Florida, so we'll see."

Posada was replaced by backup catcher Jose Molina for the top of the seventh inning. Molina, batting .286 (4-for-14), would be the interim understudy if Posada does not land on the disabled list.

While Posada could stay active as a designated hitter, Girardi said that he would prefer not to take the bat away from Hideki Matsui, who is hitting .357 through eight games. Girardi said he planned to speak with general manager Brian Cashman and the Yankees' training staff on Tuesday evening regarding the injury.

Journeyman Chad Moeller is New York's Triple-A catcher and could see a callup in the event of a DL assignment. Posada said he was hopeful that he would be able to avoid one, but his tone did not seem optimistic.

"I can't be out there if I'm not 100 percent," Posada said. "A catcher is like a pitcher -- you need your arm. If you were an outfielder or a shortstop, you could play through it. We throw as much as the pitcher does."
    The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: Shoulder pain may send Posada to DL

MLB ERA

Interesting statistic...

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since 2002 Yankee batters have been hit 69 times by Red Sox pitchers as opposed to 48 Red Sox hit by Yankee hurlers. But the figures are even more dramatic when you narrow it down to just the primary combatants, Jeter, Rodriguez, Ramirez and David Ortiz.

Over that same six-year span, including postseason, Jeter has been plunked 12 times by Red Sox pitchers and A-Rod 10 times. By contrast, Yankee pitchers have hit Manny only three times (not including Farnsworth's near-miss Thursday night) and "Big Papi"? Never.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Interesting statistic...

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since 2002 Yankee batters have been hit 69 times by Red Sox pitchers as opposed to 48 Red Sox hit by Yankee hurlers. But the figures are even more dramatic when you narrow it down to just the primary combatants, Jeter, Rodriguez, Ramirez and David Ortiz.

Over that same six-year span, including postseason, Jeter has been plunked 12 times by Red Sox pitchers and A-Rod 10 times. By contrast, Yankee pitchers have hit Manny only three times (not including Farnsworth's near-miss Thursday night) and "Big Papi"? Never.

The league has sent both teams a memo saying it's ok to hit Jeter and Arod as much as the Sox want but even throw a ball near Manny or ortiz and suspensions will be handed down.

MLB ERA

Phuck that.

Seriously, I hate these shenanigans.

AAA ERA

Wang has another strong outing and the pen looked good w/ Farnsworth, Joba and Mo pitching 3 scoreless innings. It's nice to win again.

AAA ERA

Rasner pitched welland the bats actually hit w/ RISP again(notice how nthey do a better job w/ RISP when ARod isn't playing?). We'll take a sweep even if it may have had more to do w/ how poorly Seattle is playing right now.

MLB ERA

I did notice that actually

MLB ERA

Couple of notes:

- Johnny Damon has the longest hitting streak in the AL at 19 games.
    - Hideki Matsui has a 14 game hitting streak.
    - Your team leader in home runs? MELKY CABRERA with 6

AAA ERA

That was a bad loss last night, Andy pitched well and we don't expect a lead to be blown when Joba comes in. he just hasn't looked right since he came back after tending to his Father. Maybe that has nothing to do w/ it but he just dosn't look like the same guy.

AAA ERA

I know the Rays are good this year but 1 run in 2 games is pathetic and I do not care who is out of the lineup, we still have enough bats to score some runs.

AAA ERA

Mussina comes through again, he has been a losing streak stopper this year. He has given us more than we could have expected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast